Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Lowe's or Home Depot?

Lowe's or Home Depot?

Posted - December 27, 2018

Responses

either one is okay with nne
      December 27, 2018 12:46 PM MST

Lowe's is more expensive.  
      December 27, 2018 1:37 PM MST

Home Depot.

The last time I went into a Lowe's, it was to pick up a new flexible air duct thingy for my dryer. The prior one had been crushed because the dryer got pressed against the wall. I searched the store and couldn't find one, so I asked an employee for help. He was grouchy, said nothing, but led me to a display. There were two options; one was cheap and one was built better/ pricier. He picked up the cheap one, put it in my hand, and said, "You want this." Not being an expert on such things, I said, "My last one got crushed. Is there a benefit to going with the sturdier one?" 

The guy totally loses his sh*t and says, "Look, you can do whatever the hell you want. If you don't want to listen to my advice and the years of experience I have, then don't. The other ones don't work well and people always come back and replace them, but if you want that, then take it." I think he also muttered something under his breath about why I even bothered to ask him if I was going to ignore him. What's weird is that I didn't even challenge him. I was asking for information based on his expertise in the first place. Something must have happened before I walked in that day that set him off, because his reaction to my casual question was not normal at all.

I'm not a small woman, but this guy towered over me by a good six inches, and while he's talking to me, he's leaning in, balling up his fists, glaring me, and has a very aggressive stance. I was legitimately afraid for my safety. I seriously backed away from him and fled the store. 

I later wrote to Lowe's, expecting them to do something about the guy. They didn't even bother to reply to me. I will never set foot in another Lowe's again. 

Frankly, I'm not really a fan of Home Depot either. It's too hard to find what I want. If I'm doing some kind of home project, I'll usually read lots of reviews and find out how other people have fared with a particular product before I buy it. I'm not a handy person, so I need all the help I can get. It's much easier to shop online, so I can be assured I'm getting the right thing.
      December 27, 2018 2:33 PM MST

• UGH!  A FREAKIN' BOOK! 

edit:  Dammit!  Gif didn't work. :P This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 28, 2018 8:09 PM MST
      December 28, 2018 6:28 AM MST

The local Lowe's store is having a "Going Out Of Business" sale.
      December 27, 2018 5:29 PM MST

• i worked at a lowes right before i went to college so I’m biased 

every time I see a home depot i refer to it as the enemy 
      December 27, 2018 6:09 PM MST

Hope Depot. Lowes gives me a veteran discount if I have their 'card'. Home depot gives me the 10% with my retired ID. No hassles. A no brainer.
      December 27, 2018 7:04 PM MST

They give everyone a discount if they have a Lowes card. 
      December 27, 2018 8:57 PM MST

I never had a problem at Lowes. I went there every day when I was building my house. 
      December 27, 2018 7:23 PM MST

• In my opinion, they're both the same, however my husband prefers Lowe's. When he used to have to go there for items for work, they apparently have more of their S*** together than Home Depot. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 4, 2019 6:04 PM MST
      December 27, 2018 7:27 PM MST

I agree with you. (Finally, right?)

~
      December 27, 2018 9:53 PM MST

I know, huh?

~
      December 27, 2018 9:59 PM MST

That is Dixieline Lumber and Hardware, and I don't understand why they only publish fuzzy images of the storefront.
      December 29, 2018 3:38 AM MST

• You know they cleaned that toilet and put it back on display. :P

I know my way around Home Depot better, I used to work the lumber dept there.
      December 28, 2018 6:24 AM MST

B&Q

December 28, 2018 8:22 PM MST

I like Lowes better but I get a discount at Home Depot.  Thank God I don't need to go to either one very often anymore.  I felt like I lived there while the renovation was going on.  I went to Home Depot the other night to buy a couple of those little pillow dehumidifiers to stick in my new car.  It had been raining all day the humidity was 96%.  All of the cars had water on the inside of the windows.  That was the first time I've seen such a thing.  No one in Home Depot knew what I was talking about.  I was leaving and an older guy asked if I found what I was looking for.  I replied with the standard no, you have everything but what I'm looking for.   I told him and he walked me to the product they sold that would serve the purpose.  Six other employees directed me to a display of small humidifiers.  SCREAM!   
      December 28, 2018 11:21 PM MST