Active Now

Zack
Malizz
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Have you ever made any arts & crafts projects? What did you make?

Have you ever made any arts & crafts projects? What did you make?

I'm going to attempt to make a ring similar to the one in the video for my sister's birthday.  I have to make a lathe out of my dremel tool first.  Yep, there are videos for that, too.

If all goes well, I may considering making more to sell at town festivals.

Posted - January 6, 2019

Responses

• In high school for art class we made "Goobies".    It consisted of bread crumbs mixed with enough Elmer's Glue until the blend was the consistency of clay.  We molded it into various figures, allow to dry overnight, then paint them.     
    My mom and I used to paint plastercraft and ceramics back in the 80's together.  
    There was also some kind of nail art we used to do that involved hammering nails into a design of some kind and then stringing thread around it - I don't recall what it was called.
    When my daughter was little, we used to collect pine cones for her to paint.
    I also used to design and dress little stuffed teddy bears.
    Oh, and in the 80's, I remember using an embroidery hoop and some lace and crap to design some kind of kitchen towel thing.   It's been so long, I don't recall what exactly it was, but I remember it being fun.
    Latch hook rugs too.  Did a bunch of those for easy credit in high school.

The ring in your picture is pretty.   One of my great uncles used to design and make various rings.  He had a business outside in a separate building for his jewelry making.    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 6, 2019 12:32 PM MST
      January 6, 2019 8:52 AM MST

• Very nice! :)
      January 6, 2019 8:54 AM MST

I made a table lamp in summer camp. (1963)  I still had it until about 1990. 
      January 6, 2019 2:13 PM MST

I made a water pipe in ceramics class in high school.  You could put ice in the water.  It worked real well and I didn't hate myself.
      January 6, 2019 8:53 PM MST

• I've carved several wood pipes over the years, and as soon as you mentioned the pipe you made a light went on and I can see doing some inlay on one to see how it turns out, maybe some crushed turquoise.  I'm also experimenting with wood dyes, well, just one so far (purple), that stuff's expensive with the shipping.  I order online because I'm not about to drive in Austin traffic.
      January 7, 2019 6:20 AM MST

Too many over a lifetime to mention.
    There's never been a time when I didn't have several on the go at the same time.

This post was edited by inky at January 7, 2019 9:17 PM MST
      January 6, 2019 11:19 PM MST

They tried to get me to do that stuff in the mental hospital, but I just wasn't having it.
      January 7, 2019 6:22 AM MST

• I'll tell you, I've only left to clear gloss it, and the thing has made me want to pull my freakin' hair out the hole way, but it's beautiful!!!!  It's dull right now due to the 2000 grit sanding I gave it to rough up the wood for dying.  It'll be blinding after the gloss, and the Amethysts will really pop!
      January 27, 2019 8:43 AM MST

• i took like four wood shop classes in high school 
    i made a bunch of birdhouses, a few wallmounted shelfs, a rocking horse, an end table 
    i also took a pottery class and made a bunch of kitchen utensil holders lol 

my all ttime fav tho was when i took mythology my sophomore year of high school i built an entire greek temple out of sugar cubes 
      January 7, 2019 7:45 AM MST

A picnic table, two loft beds, a work bench with a stool, some wooden chessboards and a few other things. Not very arty or crafty, just some things I needed. This post was edited by Element 99 at January 8, 2019 4:13 PM MST
      January 7, 2019 10:25 AM MST

A number, to wit.  Cabinets, counters and two whole new houses.  Cabinets in my rental properties as well as major renovations.  Household furniture of various types; Stickly to Louis the 14th and som Frank Loyd Wright etc.  Turned enough bowls to supply a decade of Artists markets.  Enough photos sold at at Art Fairs Midwest to NYC & Dc.

I think that counts
      January 7, 2019 8:28 PM MST

Oh...I forgot. I built a nuclear warhead in my basement. (HLS...Just kidding.)
      January 7, 2019 8:29 PM MST

We did not have much arts & crafts in the one room country school I went to but I did carve a clock out of a bar of ivory soap and accomplished some water color paintings. This post was edited by Kittigate at January 27, 2019 8:48 AM MST
      January 7, 2019 10:40 PM MST

• I took ceramics class with my Mom and we made quite a few nice pieces.  Also crocheted Christmas bell corsages and sold them to make some cash:)
      January 7, 2019 11:15 PM MST