ELIZABETH WARREN IS IT
CLURT
Discussion » Questions » Family » What do single working parents with no family do with their kids when the child needs to stay home sick?

What do single working parents with no family do with their kids when the child needs to stay home sick?

Posted - January 7

• 1928
    Take the day off also. There's no other choice love. 
    1

• 614
    Hello JA
    When I was given custody of my 2 kids they were 5 and 8. I had just changed my occupation and did most of my work at home. The kids went to the same school which was very close to the house we had then. If one of the kids was sick I could always find a parent in the neighborhood that would walk the other to school. When we moved to the house I am still in, it became more difficult. I had to drive the kids to school everyday which was about a 30 minute drive, and then pick them up in the afternoon. My property has 2 houses on it, one is a small guest house which I rent out to a woman who has been here since we moved and she was a big help. 
    Wow, looking back on it I am amazed we made it through..
    2

• 10102
    Good for you....I'm so pleased you managed it....The stress you must have suffered at times ,I can't begin to imagine....  :)
    0

• 10102
    Because of the high  cost of house prices in central London and its suburbs....local government chose to move out single mums to poorer areas/cities  to save money......Generally it far away from their parents homes ,extended family and friends that are willing to help.....
    What can a single mum do that needs to work to feed and provide for their child....
    Single mums living on Goverment assistant get far more money than working mums here with non executive jobs...
    Part time child care for three days a week cost in excess of £1000 a month just for part time care ,it's often more depending on where you live :( 
    2

• 885
    Most of London is now made up of rich foreign elites, they sold off the council properties and have pushed Londoners out to places in Kent and Sevenoaks.  I don't think first time buyers could afford some of the properties that they are advertising as such let alone single mums, the government is deluded.

2

• 10102
    Agree....A house in Hackney about a mile from the city center cost £30,000 pounds 30 years ago....its now Three million pounds for the same house...The one  my friend lives in which is semi detached ,the new owners next door spent Two million pounds renovating it I'm told.....How true that is I can't say......it has no parking space either...
    1

• 7166
    :/ We have similar challenges here. 
    2

• 10102
    It's rediclious really......the whole area is being yuppified by people with more money than sense....they speak wierd and are openly rude to everyone but others like them...
    We can't visit friends as they don't want anyone to park ....certain roads can only be used by electric vechiles....even if you live there...
    All the old historic buildings are being ripped down and huge all glass ugly buildings constructed in their place....

Its a horribly  ugly communist like State to visit and worse to live in or near....
    1

• 885
    In the UK, if you cannot find someone to look after the children who the government are willing to fund when you are working, (remember the government is us the taxpayer), then you'd have to take the time off, this is why single mums find work difficult to find. You have to go to work when your children reach a certain age, (even when they are still school age), unless you have a reason for claiming benefits.
    0

• 4690
    The company I worked for allowed parents, single or otherwise, to take sick leave when a child was ill. 
    1

• 11005
    neighbors
    friends
    take vacation days
    take personal days
    take off per FMLA
    furlough
    in a few jobs one might be able to take sick child to work with them (hospital management, etc)
    family members
    sick-child daycare
    1

• 795
    When I was left with 2 & 4 year old as their Mother (da Ex) took off to chase her career it was difficult at 1st.  I used friends, a neighbor, days off  etc.,   As I got my budgeting underway and a few promotions I could afford a Nanny.  When I was posted in Paris it was a breeze as we had a sick child care center in our office building.  With the 2 newest my current partner and I have a live in Nanny.

In short outside of a miracle it is very difficult. I will never ding one of my employees for taking care of their child. I have even paid for a sitter etc out of my pocket so they could keep their job or make a meeting.
    1

• 7166
    "I have even paid for a sitter etc out of my pocket so they could keep their job or make a meeting." That's very cool. Few supervisors are so understanding. 
    1

• 795
    JA I was in their shoes, so I understand the scramble well.  I have 3 single parents working on my team, 2 female , 1 male.  I ask them under the table when the school Holidays are etc.  This keeps me from scheduling critical work events at these times when it will be impossible for them to attend.  I say under the table as we do not want to run afoul of the attorneys etc.

Female single parents have it somewhat easier than male single parents.  Since I was one once, I am a bit overly sensitive.  Doc and I also make a good salary and we both look after our teams when needed.  We do not spend half of what we make so we have some budget fudge room
    1