Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are you glad I'm not an American ? I am.

Responses

WHAT?

What sense does this make?   Am I glad I didn't vote for Donald Trump?  YES.

January 9, 2019 9:15 AM MST

I've just checked your profile and discovered you are Danish, Jakoba.

Most people prefer the country and culture in which they were born and raised.
    Our environment has a huge effect on our ways of thinking and our values.

Of those forced to seek asylum due to politics, war, poverty or famine, only a small proportion want to migrate to America.
    The majority try first for a neighbouring country with as similar language and culture as possible.
    If that is not possible, or if they prefer Western values and freedoms,
    they tend to seek refuge in Europe, Canada or Australia before considering America.

But most people raised inside the US think they live in one of the luckiest and most blessed places in the world. While there are a large number of liberals in the US who currently feel distressed and ashamed about what is happening under Trump, I doubt if they are considering emigrating as a solution.
      January 9, 2019 4:20 PM MST

Be glad about what you are, Jakob. No shame in that. I’m glad that you are. 

In the same sense, I can honestly tell you the beautiful existence I enjoy today would not have been possible for me had I not been an American. 
      January 9, 2019 7:31 PM MST

• I am quite envious actually, but my family are here, so this is home.
      January 9, 2019 8:08 PM MST

Are you glad I'm not Danish?
      January 10, 2019 10:35 AM MST

• LOL   
      January 10, 2019 10:44 AM MST

If you feel you are better able to enjoy democracy than we are then I would say by all means enjoy it. While it lasts.  Before anyone tries to take it away from you in the name of what is good for you. Or because they fear you think differently than they do. 
      January 14, 2019 6:24 AM MST

With only 8 milllion perople, I suppose it is a lot easier to keep Danes reasonably similar culturally :)
      January 16, 2019 3:28 AM MST

I read the "Atlantic" article and am not convinced by Secretary Clinton's claim that democracy is in crisis because of a "small group of right-wing billionaires..who spend time building an alternative reality". Has there ever been a time when billionaires didn't have a disproportionate influence on politics?

I guess all democracies have their problems.
      January 17, 2019 12:25 PM MST