Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Family » What is your birth order? firstborn, middle child, baby? And what were the benefits or drawbacks?

What is your birth order? firstborn, middle child, baby? And what were the benefits or drawbacks?

Out of 3 kids I am the baby. Third times a charm! lol  But all the bad things my older siblings did made it hard for me to have any fun:( 

Posted - January 16, 2019

Responses

• I was the first born, I have one younger sister. 

Drawbacks: I had to watch her during summer months, and was only one out of the two of us that was expected to do chores around the house. 
    Benefits: I would ask her if she wanted to play « Cinderella » and when she would beg to be Cinderella, instead of the ugly step sister,  I would let her ´win’. Then I would order her around all day to do my chores, so I could sit back collecting my allowance while watching price is right.  

January 16, 2019 12:27 PM MST

• Very Clever:)
      January 16, 2019 1:45 PM MST

First born.
    One sister - two and a half years younger.
    Can't see any advantages or drawbacks.
      January 16, 2019 12:45 PM MST

• Youngest.  One older brother, 18 months older than I.  No benefits or drawbacks, per say.   My dad wanted a girl, and he got one.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 16, 2019 7:51 PM MST
      January 16, 2019 12:48 PM MST

Forth of 8...first one died. Baby sister discovered last year. I was the first son, but I don't think that made any difference.
      January 16, 2019 1:07 PM MST

Haven't a clue.
    No knowledge of who my parents were.
    They threw me away...LOL...but true.
      January 16, 2019 1:09 PM MST

I hope you did not suffer as a result of your parents' choice.

May I suggest that parents do not throw their kids away.
    Rather, for many different kinds of reasons, not all parents are in a position to be able to care for their kids. When this happens, giving the child up for adoption is the most responsible and loving thing to do.
      January 16, 2019 1:21 PM MST

well
    I was left in a cardboard box
    at a bus terminal...
    Right, they never left me in a garbage can
    so I guess they didn't throw me away huh?...haha
      January 18, 2019 6:25 AM MST

Here, young women with an unwanted baby can go to any fire station or hospital and anonymously leave it, no questions asked.
      January 18, 2019 12:39 PM MST

• :(
    Maybe they loved you enough to understand that they were not in a position to give you the love and care they knew you deserved.  
      January 16, 2019 1:26 PM MST

• Oh so sorry:( that is so hard I am sure. Hopefully you had a loving adoptive family growing up:)
      January 16, 2019 1:47 PM MST

You seem to have done alright, mate. How deplorable. I can't imagine that.
      January 16, 2019 6:27 PM MST

I'm an only child and there were few benefits, but a lot of drawbacks. Only another "only child" would understand.
      January 16, 2019 1:51 PM MST

• I was the oldest.  I have a younger sister who is living ... a younger brother who died at birth.  My parents expected me to set a good example since my sister was a bit of a wild child.  Not sure if that was a benefit or not for me.  Even though she got a lot of attention for being "bad" .. it would have been nicer to get some attention for not getting into trouble too. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2019 2:49 PM MDT
      January 16, 2019 2:08 PM MST

• My older sister ran away at 15 and got married.  Had loads of boyfriends before, so I didn't date till I was almost 20!  lol
      January 16, 2019 2:25 PM MST

• I'm the 5th of five.  Would have been 6th, but there was a miscarriage between 1 & 2.
      January 16, 2019 2:36 PM MST

I'm number three out of four. My twin died at birth. Advantages, none. Drawbacks, plenty from my other siblings as they got a free punching bag.
      January 16, 2019 3:54 PM MST

I was the sixth of six sons. Mom got tired of raising sons after #3 so she just quit. She thought she was a brilliant parent because she let the rest of us raise ourselves.
      January 16, 2019 3:58 PM MST

Only child.

Drawbacks---no one else to blame for anything.

Advantages---when I left, I didn't have to worry about saving any siblings 
      January 16, 2019 4:20 PM MST

• i am the oldest

i was an only child for 11 years 

the benefit is that i can boss him around but the drawback is that he gets all the good stuff
      January 16, 2019 4:23 PM MST

• Only child.

Drawbacks are you get lonely. But you become really close to your friends in the absence of siblings. You also get all the attention and are maybe a bit spoiled. :P
      January 16, 2019 4:45 PM MST

Got lots of friends here, bro.
      January 16, 2019 6:30 PM MST

The forth of six kids..The eldest is a brother, then brother ,sister ,me ,sister and youngest brother...our eldest brothers took after our dad who really fussed over all us girls...that kind of set the pace for all the boys and we are all really close now....our youngest brother not wanting to miss out was pretty amazing to...he always tried to emulate his older brothers and now he's nearly as big as my dad...
    There is never any animosity between any of us.....just endless pranks and ribbing...:) 
      January 16, 2019 4:57 PM MST

And you are unique.
      January 16, 2019 6:30 PM MST