Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Are you related to LUCA ? :)

Are you related to LUCA ? :)

Posted - January 24, 2019

Responses

Adam was made from dust. Eve was made from one of Adam's rib. So, I'm not related to anything of earth. He is. 
      January 24, 2019 7:33 PM MST

Every living thing animal or vegetable all came for partials that's drifted through space for eons.....every living thing is related if you go back far enough to one single cell thing....    :)
      January 24, 2019 8:27 PM MST

You could say we have something in common. 

Also, I think I've seen her before.
      January 24, 2019 8:52 PM MST

Well I hope what you might have in common with luca isn't  thinking you have to tell people your clumsy or you walked into a door. Luca is a very sad song but I like to think it opened peoples eyes to domestic violence and they made it their business to help people like Luca. Cheers!
      January 24, 2019 10:13 PM MST

Aww... Thanks for your concern Nanoose. No. I just couldn't decide between which answer to give, so I gave both the ones that popped into my head. Sharonna went more into detail about what LUCA is- Last Universal Common Ancestor, meaning an ancestor we all have in common. My first reply was a pun. Tongue-in-cheek that I would have something in common with our common ancestor. I do. DNA. :)

At the same time, the Luka song was playing in my head. It needed to come out or it would be there all day. I agree, that song probably changed the way a lot of people look at domestic violence. 

January 25, 2019 10:05 AM MST

I swear to god, the first thing I thought of was Suzanne Vega.  No one even knows that song, lol.
      January 25, 2019 10:08 AM MST

I don't know him/her/it.
      January 25, 2019 8:00 AM MST

• Doesn't she live on the second floor?
      January 25, 2019 8:02 AM MST

• Yeah, I live on the third floor right above her. :P
      January 25, 2019 8:31 AM MST

• Haha
      January 25, 2019 8:32 AM MST

What is it?  Oh, here we go....

Last universal common ancestor

The last universal common ancestor (LUCA), also called the last universal ancestor (LUA), cenancestor, or (incorrectly[R 1]) progenote, is the most recent population of organisms from which all organisms now living on Earth have a common descent.[1] LUCA is the most recent common ancestor of all current life on Earth. LUCA is not thought to be the first living organism on Earth, but only one of many early organisms, whereas the others became extinct.

While there is no specific fossil evidence of LUCA, it can be studied by comparing the genomes of its descendants, all organisms known to be living today. By this means, a 2016 study identified a set of 355 genes inferred to have been present in LUCA. This would imply it was already a complex life form with many co-adapted features, including transcription and translation mechanisms to convert information between DNA, RNA, and proteins.[2][3] However, some of those genes could have developed later and spread universally by horizontal gene transfer between archaea and bacteria.[4]

LUCA is estimated to have lived some 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago in the Paleoarchean era,[5][6] a few hundred million years after the earliest evidence of life on Earth, for which there are several candidates. Microbial mat fossils have been found in 3.48 billion-year-old sandstone from Western Australia,[7][8] while biogenic graphite has been found in 3.7 billion-year-old metamorphized sedimentary rocks from Western Greenland.[9][10] Recent studies have tentatively proposed evidence of life as early as 4.28 billion years ago.[11][12][13]

Charles Darwin proposed the theory of universal common descent through an evolutionary process in his book On the Origin of Species in 1859, saying, "Therefore I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed."[14] Later biologists have separated the problem of the origin of life from that of the LUCA.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 25, 2019 10:57 AM MST
      January 25, 2019 8:43 AM MST

Thanks. I guess fanatical Christians would say it is all poppycock.
      January 25, 2019 10:58 AM MST

It had to start somewhere.   
      January 25, 2019 11:05 AM MST

After Sharon explained it I guess I could say yes. Your answer is pretty good.
      January 25, 2019 10:59 AM MST

Nope.  Nor UCLA.
      January 25, 2019 3:25 PM MST