Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Can someone recommend a depressing movie to me?

Can someone recommend a depressing movie to me?

I'm just in that kinda mood.

Just to give you a gauge of what movies I like and find adequately sad: Awakenings, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the documentaries The Bridge and About a Son, Oldboy (2003), and the Sixth Sense I actually find really sad too.

Posted - February 1, 2019

Responses

It's a great team! Brilliant film before Tom Hardy became stereotyped.
      February 2, 2019 11:13 AM MST

• The Green Mile, Million Dollar Baby,  12 years a Slave, The Color Purple, Manchester by the Sea, Room.
      February 1, 2019 11:39 AM MST

Definitely love the green mile, but amazingly I have still not seen any of these other films. Good suggestions, Room, Manchester by the Sea, and 12 Years a Slave were all on my queue.
      February 2, 2019 12:04 AM MST

• To Kill a Mockingbird & The Grapes of Wrath
      February 1, 2019 11:51 AM MST

To kill a Mockingbird is awesome. Gonna get around one of these days to Grapes
      February 2, 2019 12:05 AM MST

• GREAT movies and true classics.
      February 2, 2019 8:20 AM MST

You asked for "a" film -- and I give you 13 -- sorry

but I really like every one of them.

"magnolia"

"The Vanishing"  ("Spoorloos")  -- the original

"Elephant"  (Gus Van Sant's film)

"What's Eating Gilbert Grape"   (what a marvelous performance by Leonardo DiCaprio)

-- some superb-to-me films directed by Michael Haneke:
          "The Seventh Continent"
          "Benny's Video"
          "71 fragments of a chronology of chance"
          "Funny Games" (the 1997 original, not the American remake)

"Pack of Lies" -- (Teri Garr, Ellen Burstyn, Alan Bates)

"Ordinary People"

"Vera Drake"

"Heavenly Creatures"

"Dancer in the Dark"

February 1, 2019 6:24 PM MST

Magnolia, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Ordinary People are some of my favorite films of all time, and I just recently watched Dancer in the Dark, I believe, on your suggestion! It has one of my favorite soundtracks ever, but that's not surprising because Bjork is one of my favorite artists ever.

I'll put some of these other ones on my list!
      February 2, 2019 12:19 AM MST

I'm totally sold on all of those movies on my list.
    :)

Funny -- two good friends of mine literally dropped by my place to purposely tell me, " 'WelbyQuentin,' we just got done watching for the first time this movie and you need to see this. I thought of you immediately. It's very emotional but I think you'll really like it." And they gave me their a DVD of "Dancer in the Dark."
    Yup  - I loved it.

I'm glad you watched it!

Just throwing another little scene out here from another one on my list up there.
    When I realized what was happening, I remember this scene literally taking my breath away . . . the scene just starts out of nowhere and I thought -- "Am I hearing and seeing this?"  It cut me to the core.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 2, 2019 9:51 PM MST
      February 2, 2019 4:09 PM MST

The first time I saw the frog scene it was pretty mind blowing. And I especially like the sound design for it too, that really seems like what millions of frogs falling from the sky would sound like
      February 2, 2019 9:59 PM MST

I would enjoy watching that movie again. Yeah, I don't remember the details like you have for that scene but sort of crazy stuff.
    I like pretty much everything about that movie.
    I need to watch it again. I've only watched it maybe twice.

Somehow I've always liked that actress Melinda "Put your arms down when you get to school" Dillon is in this movie. 'A Christmas Story" and "magnolia" -- two very different movies.
      February 3, 2019 10:53 AM MST

"Trainspotting".  Depressing, weird, confusing and overall pointless.

~
      February 1, 2019 11:48 PM MST

I love that one! Do you mean pointless like the existential "life is pointless man" or do you mean "this movie is pointless, two hours of my life gone"
      February 2, 2019 12:09 AM MST

After watching the entire movie, I knew less about it than I had known before watching it.

~
      February 2, 2019 12:17 AM MST