Active Now

Malizz
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What other National Leader uses The State of the Union to spread lies?

What other National Leader uses The State of the Union to spread lies?

President Donald Trump used his State of the Union address on Tuesday to repeat the made-up claim that border barriers “immediately” saved El Paso from being one of America’s most dangerous cities. On Wednesday, Trump’s reelection campaign announced that he will double down on the lie by holding a rally on Monday at the El Paso County Coliseum.

Local officials have not been pleased with Trump’s interest in their city. “What he’s saying and doing is extremely insulting,” says Peter Svarzbein, one of El Paso’s eight district representatives. He adds that Trump’s message is also damaging to El Paso’s economy at a time when the city is trying to attract professionals and students. 

ADVERTISING

Alexsandra Annello, another district representative, says it was disappointing to hear Trump continuing to mislead Americans. “El Paso has been a diverse, binational, bilingual community,” she says. “And it has been safe long before the fence was put up.” 

Trump’s claim that El Paso went from being one of America’s most dangerous cities to one of its safest because of a border fence is entirely false. El Paso’s violent crime rate peaked in 1993 and fell by more than a third by 2006. The El Paso Times reported in January, “From 2006 to 2011—two years before the fence was built to two years after—the violent crime rate in El Paso increased by 17 percent.” El Paso is now one of the safest cities in America.

After Trump’s speech, El Paso County Sheriff Richard Wiles, a Democrat, said in a statement, “It is sad to hear President Trump state falsehoods about El Paso, Texas in an attempt to justify the building of a 2,000-mile wall…El Paso was a safe city long before any wall was built.” Rep. Veronica Escobar, the Democrat who replaced Beto O’Rourke in Congress, called Trump’s El Paso reference a “sucker punch” in an interview with the El Paso Times.

El Paso’s Republican mayor Dee Margo tweeted that “El Paso was NEVER one of the MOST dangerous cities in the US” but called Trump’s upcoming visit “a positive” on Wednesday.

Svarzbein lamented that if Trump actually came to El Paso with an open mind, he would see the benefits of a free exchange of people and ideas across the border, between El Paso and the Mexican city of Ciudad Juárez. “You constantly have people from outside of this city and this region that don’t understand those dynamics,” Svarzbein says. “They don’t understand that the border is a blessing.”

He says, “I really wish this president would come here to see how these two cities thrive with each other, not in spite of but because of our relationships.”

Posted - February 7, 2019

Responses

Is it still a lie if you REALLY believe it?
    I digress, of course it is. 

Surely, you couldn’t have expected the SOTU would be otherwise, right? A fact distortion here, some d*ck-waving there, mix in some rah-rah, grease up the disciples and unleash the whoppers. Pretty much as expected.

As an aside, Sharonna, it has begun: the previously discussed “worst year of Trump’s life“. Let the oversight begin.

(Hoisting beverage in toast of democratic process) 

Trump is scared, Sharonna. He’s furious he can’t stop it. He’s not presidenting in any real sense now, consumed as he is by lashing out at all those who seek expose his manifest iniquities. He is in revolt. It will get worse. 

That said, WHY would any of that even be necessary if he was without real cause for concern. Why all the fuss? Why can’t Trump just let justice play out to reveal his innocence, if that is what he truly is? Why hide his tax returns, conceal his business practices? Why have so many lied to enable him? 

We can figure out why. Not everyone is as immutably stupid as the President presumes. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 8, 2019 6:42 AM MST
      February 7, 2019 3:02 PM MST

"Why can’t Trump just let justice play out to reveal his innocence, if that is what he truly is?"

Exactly.
    Exactly.
    Exactly.

I agree.

But I also live in an area with a majority voice saying, and I hear them all the time,
    - 'unfair attacks' 'he just gets attacked' 'the media has done nothing but attack the man since day one' ' he can't let justice play out because he's getting attacked all the time.'

There may be some truth there. But - - and a big "but" to me -- to me, he practically begs to be attacked.

And I still think the President doth protest too much.
      February 7, 2019 4:58 PM MST

If an elected official condemns in broad strokes an ENTIRE pillar of our free society -the press- as the “enemy of the people”, for selfish political effect simply because he opposes a certain narrative; given that that official so embodies divisiveness, dishonesty and incompetence, failing even a semblance of credible positive narrative; by what logic does that official expect the so-called “enemy” to invent a narrative that flatters him? 

Despot much? 
      February 7, 2019 5:58 PM MST

Yes.

I admit I'm not politically with it, all the required ins and outs politics probably require. But I usually find myself just shaking my head a lot - - a lot --  when he speaks.

February 8, 2019 5:45 AM MST

How do Mexicans feel about the wall? I do not care. 

Hispanic Americans must like it. They went from 30% approval to 50% approval since the shutdown. 

El Paso was a dangerous city in the 1990s. They got more agents and the wall and now are a extremely safe city.
      February 8, 2019 5:53 AM MST