Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you think panhandlers really need the money they are panhandling for?

Do you think panhandlers really need the money they are panhandling for?

There are a lot of panhandlers around the city where i live andI'giving money to a panhandler does not make me feel like I done a good deed to help somebody, I just get the feeling that I am aiding and abetting someone's drug addiction or something. 
There are many resources available to help those in need with free food and meals, free clothing and shelters for the homeless people 

Posted - February 9, 2019

Responses

I don't really know for sure  but I always give them a loonie or toonie anyway. Cheers and happy weekend! 
      February 9, 2019 11:32 PM MST

That's good. I am more willing to donate to the buskers who are doing something to earn their coins.
      February 9, 2019 11:42 PM MST

UM....

WHO CARES?
      February 10, 2019 3:54 AM MST

• I'm sure some do ... and some are scammers.  Where I live, they aren't really allowed to panhandle, so I rarely see any. 
      February 10, 2019 5:22 AM MST

I agree with you. I encounter them when we go to the larger cities, especially in Orlando. Maybe it’s just me, but I see those guys as just too lazy to get a job, or pay taxes. Preying on tourists; wearing new Jordans, Beats headphones. I’d have a bit more respect for them if their signs just said “Beer Money”. 

I think they give the truly desperate a bad image. I am wary of sticking my arm out of the car in these places, for little more than feeding a fix. 
      February 10, 2019 6:06 AM MST

February 10, 2019 7:13 AM MST

February 10, 2019 7:24 AM MST

Well, he obviously doesn't need any food.
      February 10, 2019 7:28 AM MST

LOL

He has two jobs.  One is begging for money and ho's in p.m. and begging for food in a.m.  He's a hard-working, ambitious guy.
      February 10, 2019 8:06 AM MST

My late brother was a professional panhandler. We used to give him nice clothing, but he wouldn't wear them. It didn't make him look poor enough. He said he could earn up to $110 a day. He spent most of it on drugs and beer. That's why he's my late brother.
      February 10, 2019 7:17 AM MST

i understand the need of panhandling sometimes.... even as myself, i once was homeless but i never panhandled because mainly i didnt wanted to annoy people who take the metro and annoy them. 

i never panhandled because mainly because i received welfare... 

there are ressources like welfare who give a good amount for those who have nothing and need it. and i know it can be hard, but there are jobs everywhere like work as a clerk or something like that
      February 10, 2019 11:56 AM MST