Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » In your opinion, are there distinct differences between the uses of "excuse me" and "pardon me", or are they completely interchangeable? ~

In your opinion, are there distinct differences between the uses of "excuse me" and "pardon me", or are they completely interchangeable? ~

Posted - February 16, 2019

Responses

I use them interchangeably although I probably use "excuse me" more often.
      February 16, 2019 7:29 AM MST

• I think they're interchangeable in most instances.  However, an inmate saying "Pardon Me" could be quite different than if he or she said "Excuse Me".  :)
      February 16, 2019 7:37 AM MST

• If someone’s in my way and it’s impossible for me to get by them,  I say ‘pardon me’ To get them to move out of my way. 
    If someone‘s in my way but I can shove past them, I say ‘excuse me’ as I slam them into a wall. So yes, is a difference. 
      February 16, 2019 9:54 AM MST

Ok, so he's going to be kissing wall, fine, but is the pie to the face really necessary?  Overdoing it.

~
      February 16, 2019 6:14 PM MST

• This picture is all wrong. First, that looks like lemon pie. There’s no way I’d waste a lemon meringué pie. Second, that red scrunchy in hair has to go. Third, I would never wear shoes like that and her jeans are too short. I like the top though, so that’s good.  

February 17, 2019 4:26 AM MST

Do you know how difficult it is finding a photo of a woman shoving people out of her way, lol?  Then you make it worse by rejecting her fashion choices, grrrrr.  Ok, here we go:

"Get out of my way, officer!  I've got a whole list of sandwiches to make for Randy D, and if I'm even one minute late, there's going to be trouble!"

"Meh, who needs to shove?  They'll part like the Red Sea and make room for me to pass."

"Out of my way, you putzes!  They told me Randy D would be here and I could meet him in person, but it's really an anti-tildite rally, grrrr."

"Next time, I'll have my bodyguards with me; I can't believe I actually have to touch these peasants.  Eww, eww, eww."

~
      February 17, 2019 8:02 AM MST

• Lol:) these are much better. I’m still not making your sandwiches though.... 

February 17, 2019 11:27 AM MST

Fine, but you know what that means:

Suffer!  

~
      February 17, 2019 1:01 PM MST

• Whatever, you were never going to give it up anyway, tease. 
      February 17, 2019 2:40 PM MST

"Excuse me" may be said just before one is about to do something a bit disagreeble or rude.
    If the reason is good, say because of an urgent priority of which the other is unaware, then the person is usually excused or forgiven.

"Pardon me" is used after one has already done something unwelcome as a way of asking for forgiveness.
      February 16, 2019 6:36 PM MST

Pardon me for disagreeing; that's not accurate across the board. (See what I did there?)
    ~
      February 17, 2019 4:41 PM MST

If someone dismisses you they are excusing you.  If someone commutes your sentence they are pardoning you.
      February 16, 2019 6:45 PM MST