Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Would you finally give up meat if it meant your only choices were the organs?

Would you finally give up meat if it meant your only choices were the organs?

Posted - February 21, 2019

Responses

I gave up meat when I was 21 - about 41 years ago now.

I used to eat offal quite a lot because it was much cheaper, and some parts were much richer in iron,
    so, it had nothing to do with being revolted by flesh or any part of the corpse.

Rather, one day I was taking a bath after a particular rough experience,
    and suddenly connected with all the suffering of all the sentient beings across the planet,
    how much of it was caused by the actions of humans,
    and I decided I didn't want to be part of it any more.
    Not eating meat was part of that decision.
      February 22, 2019 1:29 AM MST

I doubt it.

~
      February 22, 2019 5:29 AM MST

• If the organs happened to be juicy, tender, and delicious I'd still eat them. 
      February 22, 2019 5:50 AM MST

What about fish? I could get along with just fish, especially Lake Erie yellow perch or walleye. 
      February 22, 2019 6:54 AM MST

• I haven’t eat any meat since I was about 17. I do eat poultry and fish though. Just don’t eat dead cows and pigs and stuff like that. 
      February 22, 2019 7:07 AM MST

If you eat poultry and fish ... you are eating meat.
      February 22, 2019 7:30 AM MST

• Yes i know, I meant the gross meat lol.cows and pigs gross. 
      February 22, 2019 7:32 AM MST

Organs are not meat. I do not eat those. 
      February 22, 2019 7:20 AM MST

MEAT = The flesh of an animal.

I don't believe organs qualify as "meat".
    Would I eat them?  Maybe.  I actually like liver & onions.  I'd be willing to try other organs.
      February 22, 2019 7:31 AM MST

I could. Mom cooked Kosher and that includes organ tissue. I like liver, especially her chopped chicken livers stuffed in celery. We had tongue periodically. It is excellent. I have never tried tripe, heart (except for chicken hearts) or brain, but I sure I would like them.
      February 22, 2019 11:38 AM MST

I used to love liver.  I actually think the organs are the best parts.

Liver and onions cooked until it is still slightly pink in the center and LOADS of salt.

I can smell and mentally taste it as I write this and that is all I need.  I don't need to eat it any more.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 22, 2019 8:35 PM MST
      February 22, 2019 11:40 AM MST

I eat what I want.  Many days no meat.  Some days I have a steak or cook a beef roast.  It all just depends.  I've no guilt about eating meat.  I don't like to have a bone on my plate though.  Last week I thinly sliced a Tbone steak and never even cooked the bone.  I stir fried the meat and ate over rice.   I'll have chicken tomorrow at my mother's assisted living with her and her pals.  They feed those old folks so well.  I can eat dinner for $5 so I often do. 
      February 22, 2019 10:37 PM MST

Well I love liver and gizzards. I've always wondered what cow tongue tastes like. I see it every time I go to the store. It looks so gross, but my morbid curiosity is what makes me want to try it. That's also what got me to try pickled pig feet, they're okay but not good enough for me to buy a gigantic jar of them (they never seem to have the smaller ones available).
      February 23, 2019 6:08 AM MST