Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » How would you have reacted?

How would you have reacted?

(excuse the rather graphic language)

* starting the drive to a job, I turned on the car radio to a morning talk show already in progress
* a woman was talking about her experiences of extreme alcohol addiction (starting at the age of 13) and also of having been emotionally abused by her mother's partner
* the woman had a lot of challenges in her journey, countless trips to hospitals, rehabs/etc., she shared her experiences in a direct, honest powerful way -- I was moved
* she had now gotten all the drinking under control, she had been sober a lengthy amount of time

* then the show host asked, "What about your boobs?"

I then found out that this woman was one of five women in a contest to get a "free boob job" -- listeners were to to later vote on which of the five women would get the job.

My reaction?
I slowly shook my head and switched stations

Posted - February 22, 2019

Responses

probably the same way I just reacted...
    ...I smiled...
    but at that point would've looked for some music
    cuz just not into too much jabber...haha
      February 22, 2019 4:38 PM MST

:)

Yeah, the humor of it all is definitely there. (Especially, my initial reaction of the host's boob question -- "Whoa! Where did that come from?!" Ha!)

I have to be in the right mood for jabber, too.
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 23, 2019 3:44 PM MST
      February 22, 2019 4:43 PM MST

"Unbelievable, but a sign of the times." Everything is up for sale, your life story for a pair of tits.
      February 22, 2019 4:46 PM MST

Yeah. I heard this on the radio this morning. I may not have thought of it in quite the way you said it here but you are right and have a great point.
     And, though it would have made my posted question up there too long, --  but I listen rather often to this particular radio show and, to me, I found it all rather hypocritical of the radio host -- this type of thing is EXACTLY the kind of stuff he and his radio team CONSTANTLY make fun of. If another show of any kind had such a 'competition,' they'd be all over it.
    Thanks for answering my question.
      February 22, 2019 4:52 PM MST

I avoid listening to morning radio shows. Most are just trash talk. 
    I would have changed the channel as you did.
      February 22, 2019 4:52 PM MST

I'm sort of coming to a similar conclusion about morning radio -- well, at least, this particular show (though, I admit, I do listen to this particular show sort of often). But I added some interesting-to-me detail about the show under kjames' answer.
    Thanks for answering my question.
      February 22, 2019 4:55 PM MST

I would have changed the channel as well but would have still thought about the woman. With everything she's been through, she feels like new boobs will make her whole, complete or happy and that's sad.
      February 22, 2019 5:15 PM MST

I'm right there with you, easyjolene! Yes!  I thought the same! But, to ease you mind a bit, this same woman did say that she has grown stronger through her experiences and, deep down, she is OK with herself, and that if someone is not OK with her breasts as they are, then that is that person's problem.

But, like you mention, I thought - - "If you really are OK with your breasts as they are, why are you on a very public and popular radio program 'competing' for breast surgery?"
    Yeah, I don't know -- I've been shaking my head over several things this past week.
      February 22, 2019 5:24 PM MST

I agree with you and I guess at some point she will have to figure it out.

Gosh, I just had a very terrible thought.... IF she doesn't get the boobs will she go on a bender? So, now, I guess I hope she gets her boobies. 

Now, I'm shaking my head. 
      February 22, 2019 5:36 PM MST

Yeah!

If I find out any more about who won, I'll let you know.
    Yeah, here's to her -- hopefully she's okay, regardless of the outcome.

February 22, 2019 5:41 PM MST

Thank you :)
      February 22, 2019 5:45 PM MST

***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

easyjolene! esayjolene!

I just now got done WATCHING the ending of that competition on camera that I listened to 'live' on the radio this morning. After 'searching,' I foudn the radio program's hone site and they had recorded the competition, as part of their regular dailt live streaming on cmaera the radio show.

I'm done correcting typos -- sorry

Let me tell you -- I'm shaing my head more -- to the point -- it was the radio show team that decided who woudl win, not listeners. THere are about eight to ten regualr personal;oiites as part of theis mornign show.
    Adn there were te five womne -- stading in front ot everyone. tHe woman to whom I referred in my question did not win -- she was the second person to be elimninated -- because, in the owrds of the main host -- her stroy was too courageous and inspiring in comparison to the others. and her breasts were the largest in comparison to the others (that's what he said, I did not look that closely).

I'm cming from a gay male perspective so my thoughts may be useless -- but I found all five of these women very physically attractive- - adn the owmna to whom I refrred - I foudn her the most attractive. But to hear these men (adn there is only one womna in the entire 8-to-10 personalites on the show -- these men jsut talking so blatantly abot these owmne's breats - -I foudn it al lvery offputting.

The womn we're talkign about -- she seemd to take being elminiated very well. I would not tihnk she is on a bender.
    But I think i may be over as a listener to this program. I also saw that this is a regualr competititno this guy has on his show. I find it all insulting osmehow- - to 'judge' peopel's stories and thne reward or penalize them, all for new boobs or no new boobs.

I don't know.

I"m shakign my head a lot.

Done for now- - but wnated to fill you in on what I found out

Be Well,

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 23, 2019 3:45 PM MST
      February 22, 2019 6:20 PM MST

Oh my goodness. This sounds so much like Howard Stern. Am I allowed to say that? Thanks for sharing with me. I have a lot to say and keep typing and erasing as I will probably give too much and unwanted information. 

I will say, I hope whoever gets the boobies never gets a flat.  :|
      February 22, 2019 6:48 PM MST

It does sort of have a Stern-ish quality, yeah. Though I find Stern funnier than this particular radio host (though this host is still funny; but I think I'm taking a break from his show for a while).
      February 23, 2019 7:56 AM MST

Because I'm not really into radio shows, I honestly probably would have turned it off before they got to the boob subject. Her story was probably all made up anyway, in order to get sympathy so she could get the free surgery. 
      February 22, 2019 6:22 PM MST

Quite possibly true, righty1.

check out my comments in the others naswer,s maybe. Especailly easyjolenes- - sorry for typos - -

I foudn out the results of the ocmpetitino by fidning a live strema of the show

long day -- done with coreecting my terribly typing
      February 22, 2019 6:25 PM MST

I only listen to music on the radio.  I'm not into talk shows.  If I want to hear someone yakking at me I'll get married.
      February 22, 2019 11:29 PM MST

February 23, 2019 5:43 AM MST

I'm a station flipper too, so I often do the same thing. I'm usually looking for music, but if my ears catch an interesting conversation, I'll pause to listen. 

I probably would have reacted much the same.

When I worked in a dental office, my dentist volunteered his services to a local organization that helped abused women and their children become stable. A whole lot of the women had really bad teeth. Part of that was because of the physical abuse. The other part was that they'd often neglect themselves because they were struggling just to keep food on the table. So, we would always have one patient from that organization on the books. No matter what she needed done, the dentist would go through her work one appointment per week until she had a fully-restored smile. It was a HUGE transformation for these women. Their teeth were often holding them back from jobs and impacting their self-esteem. They'd come in on the first appointment staring at the ground and never smiling, and by the last one they were always beaming. It felt really good to be part of that process. 

Boobs are different. lol I would get it if the woman had a mastectomy or had some kind of malformation that prevented her from looking normal. But, if it's just about enhancing looks or trying to look sexy... no dice. As others have said, that needs to come from within. 
      February 22, 2019 11:48 PM MST

Yeah, I found it all sort of strange, the competition. The host himself said the one woman whom I heard was too courageous and inspiring so she was eliminated. I don't know what I'm trying to say here -- I'm still unsure about the whole thing.
      February 23, 2019 5:43 AM MST

Used to be shows like that on radio and TV when I was young. Winner got all sorts of household appliances and goodies and vacations etc.  Now I guess all most people want is breast enlargement.  Or reduction. Times have changed. 
      February 24, 2019 10:46 AM MST

Very-well written there! Good point and you made me smile. Thanks.

Yeah, what struck me the most (still) was that initial shock of listening to this well-spoken person, sharing parts of her life very honestly -- and then that host sort of interrupted her and asked her about her breasts - - Whoa!
      February 24, 2019 10:51 AM MST