Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » When you were a child, your parent(s) and/or other adults may have told you, "you'll understand it when you're older".

When you were a child, your parent(s) and/or other adults may have told you, "you'll understand it when you're older".

What are some examples wherein that came true for you?

In my case, one example is that certain people can say certain things because they can back their words with actions, while others can't say them because they can't back them up.

Posted - February 26, 2019

Responses

Uh, how old are YOU?

this sounds like a petulant little kid talking.

February 26, 2019 7:39 AM MST

"Why should i have to go to Sunday School?" 

February 26, 2019 9:41 AM MST

• When I was a kid, you just did what your parents told you to do.  Whether you understood it then or never ... they didn't really care ... LOL!   

February 26, 2019 9:43 AM MST

In general, my parents attitude was, if she's old enough to ask the question then she's old enough to hear the answer.

But there was one time my mother gave that response.
    I found her hiding behind the laundry heater and crying. I would have been about eight.
    I asked her what was wrong and she answered that I was too young to understand.
    I understood instantly; Dad was in a violent rage and she was terrified.
    The message I took from her response was that she did not consider me able to comfort her -
    which was probably true because I was powerless to influence either of them -
    and that she did not wish to treat me as a confidant.
    Why on earth do adults always assume that kids are so stupid?
      February 26, 2019 4:37 PM MST