Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Choose wisely: fight off a viral infection, or fight off a bacterial infection? ~

Choose wisely: fight off a viral infection, or fight off a bacterial infection? ~

Posted - March 3, 2019

Responses

• depends on what kind of infection. i don't think there is a lot of treatment for viral infections (the  cold is a virus and there is nothing for that)
      March 3, 2019 1:10 PM MST

Bacterial. Most can be controlled by antibiotics. Most virals can't. So far my body has been pretty good at warding off any infections. This post was edited by Element 99 at March 3, 2019 7:59 PM MST
      March 3, 2019 2:05 PM MST

• i wouldn't even go for bacterial. this is why we have antibiotic resistant MRSA and what not, because people are abusing them. 
      March 3, 2019 7:59 PM MST

My family doctor's wife contracted MRSA in her spine. It has been months and she has not fully recovered.
      March 4, 2019 7:20 AM MST

Bacterial - they usually respond to antibiotics where virals just have to run their course. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at March 4, 2019 8:42 PM MST
      March 3, 2019 2:06 PM MST

Definitely bactorial easier to treat.
      March 3, 2019 2:19 PM MST

Depends on the type of virus or bacteria.

I get annual vaccinations for the lethal viruses such as Tetanus or for the horses, Tetanus, Strangles and Hendra.

I let flus and colds take their course because each one helps to build some degree of immunity towards the other strains.
    I tend to get one a year, sometimes none.

I avoid mosquitos and ticks as much as possible because they are vectors for chronic and incurable conditions.

Bacteria - I mostly avoid by good hygiene, simple hand washing, instant cleansing of any minor wound.
    I also use also good nutrition, exercise, etc to help support the body's natural defences.
    If I did come down with a serious infection, I would accept antibiotics and take the course exactly as prescribed to prevent the development of resistant strains in myself.

I don't know whether "prevention is better than cure" would count as fighting.
      March 3, 2019 4:07 PM MST

Depends on what bacteria    Staph is very dangerous-- or what virus.  A cold isn't bad, but viral pnemonia is deadly sometimes. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 4, 2019 8:41 PM MST
      March 4, 2019 7:23 AM MST

In a very general way fight off the virus.....less likely will have meds to do it for you.  Most bacteria reacts to antibiotics. 
      March 4, 2019 3:58 PM MST