Active Now

Danilo_G
WelbyQuentin
DannyPetti
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Is there a movie that everyone kept telling you is amazing, so you finally watched it and it was boring, long and meh?

Is there a movie that everyone kept telling you is amazing, so you finally watched it and it was boring, long and meh?

Posted - March 4, 2019

Responses

Yeah...Titanic. I watched 30 minutes of it then fell asleep.
      March 4, 2019 7:01 PM MST

• I didn’t like that movie either, I feel sleep too so no idea how it ends.
      March 4, 2019 7:03 PM MST

The ship sank...the end. Glug.
      March 4, 2019 7:04 PM MST

• WHAT???!!! 
      March 4, 2019 7:05 PM MST

It really did...I was there.
      March 5, 2019 7:17 AM MST

• Oh, you must be a good swimmer then.
      March 5, 2019 7:18 AM MST

The Star Wars movies after the first three.  Some people kept going to see the new ones but they lost me on about the 3rd one.  It seemed to be aimed at adolescent boys with all the explosions and screaming engines.  Blam! Blam! Pow! Boom! Zooooooom, rat-a-tat-a-tat!
      March 4, 2019 8:34 PM MST

• I’ve seen them all lol. But yeah, they’re not for everyone. 
      March 5, 2019 5:13 AM MST

Theaters now use mostly digital lenses. Mostly but not all. Of course the digital lenses include DRM. Nobody has tried to explain what made the manufacturer think it should be a cop to enforce digital copyrights, but that's the way it is. If you want to show a flick that does not have a DRM license you have to take the lens off and use a regular analog lens. That is a lot of work, so technicians might not bother, and then you get a dark picture.

Well, that is what happened the last time I went to a movie in a theater. The movie was so dark I could not enjoy it.

That was something about "one ring to rule them all" and the only thing I remember was how loud the horses' hooves were.
      March 5, 2019 4:11 AM MST

• Lol, Lord Of The Rings? Yeah that‘s the worst. 
      March 5, 2019 5:11 AM MST

Have been out of the movie loop for years but recently on TV they had programs about the making of famous of popular or cult films. Star Wars, ET, Jaws, Ferris Bueller, Dirty Dancing, Animal House, National Lampoon Vacation, Pretty In Pink, Breakfast Club,  etc.  All of which I saw and people went crazy over them but I thought OK they were all a kind of silly. Never really possessed the pulse of the Public. 
      March 5, 2019 4:53 AM MST

• Some of the more popular movies are dumb. I like a few on list you mentioned though:)
      March 5, 2019 5:12 AM MST

And some of the dumb ones are my faves.
      March 5, 2019 7:19 AM MST

• Same :)
      March 5, 2019 7:20 AM MST

no
      March 8, 2019 3:53 PM MST

• Okie dokie. 
      March 13, 2019 10:20 AM MDT

"Forrest Gump"
      March 13, 2019 10:19 AM MDT

• Oh I liked that one. 
      March 13, 2019 10:21 AM MDT

Yeah, most people do. i know I'm in the minority on this one.
    :)
    I only know of maybe one other person besides me who didn't like it.
      March 13, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

• Nothing wrong with having your own taste and not following the crowd.
      March 13, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

I sent you the video on this thread.  INDULGE ME AND WATCH.  It is extra ordinary to me.  
      March 13, 2019 10:41 AM MDT

A Star is Born needed a LOT of help. GAWD.  Are you kidding me?  

The performance at the Oscars was flawless.  But the movie held none of that magic for me.  Maybe I had too much caffeine but I think I would have been entranced no matter what if it was really good.   AND IT REALLY WAS NOT.

so inexhaustible is our hunger for stories about celebrity, that this is the fourth retelling of A Star Is Born—the tale of an ingenue's rise to fame at the expense of the man who elevated her. The 2018 remake was directed and co-written by Bradley Cooper, who also stars as has-been rock musician Jackson Maine alongside Lady Gaga, who plays a talented singer named Ally who's stuck in a service job and living with her father. After his own concert, Jackson stumbles upon Ally performing at a local drag bar. Instantly intrigued, he chases her down and gives her the platform to achieve her dreams. Her fame eventually eclipses his own.

While this version is impressively performed and manages to revive the dated source material for 2018, it is still riddled with its predecessors' flaws: an old-school storyline that relies too heavily on celebrity idolatry and female emotional labor, plus pacing that unravels in the second act. Most disappointingly, the film just isn’t very fun.

While A Star is Born didn’t portent to be completely lighthearted, the trailers certainly dazzled with snippets of a cute, loving relationship. This is not really what we get. A Star is Born’s charm relies so precisely on the chemistry between its protagonists—the film’s most joyful moments are when Ally and Jackson are in a near transcendent state of rapport—that disliking the central relationship makes it incredibly difficult to enjoy much of the film or consider it anything other than a tragedy.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 13, 2019 10:34 AM MDT
      March 13, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

I trust you on this one.
    I can't even stand that Lady Bradley duet song that's been playing on the radio stations for about a year now.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 13, 2019 10:35 AM MDT
      March 13, 2019 10:26 AM MDT

There is one saving grace. These two have major talent.  Bradley is a presence.  So is my GaGa.  But she needs direction and she is not ready for her acting debut.  WELL.  Wait.  NOT fair. Her debut in this was very good and I can see her getting so much better.  But it is a freshman attempt on her part.  It is flawed.  She sounds like she is reading to me.  

Over done.  But touching.   Compared to Bjork who was soo  good I could not even believe she was ACTING.  I will never forget that performance.

Gaga has far to go.

BUT SHE AND BRADLEY DID THIS AMAZING JOB OF THAT HATED SONG AT THE OSCARS.  THEY RIGHTFULLY BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN. 

Same with Bradley.  This was a freshman directorial debut.  Very good but really bad at the same time.  Needed a lot of fine tuning and editing.  AND THE WORST PERFORMANCE AND STUPIDEST CHARACTER OF ALL?  Sam Elliott who may have gotten some awards for that stupid performance.  It was so bad, it was campy.

Horrible.  Shame on him for doing it.  He must love Bradley or something.

LOL

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 13, 2019 10:35 AM MDT
      March 13, 2019 10:31 AM MDT