Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » How far would you go to stop a relative, friend, neighbor or co-worker from driving after having had alcohol? ~

How far would you go to stop a relative, friend, neighbor or co-worker from driving after having had alcohol? ~

Posted - March 5, 2019

Responses

Apparently, not that far at all.

My moron brother used to do it every time he drove and I could not call the police on him or my mother would have evicted me.

It was complicated.   That jerk drives every day half-loaded,  and no one bats an eye.   He is like Trump that way.  Teflon. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 5, 2019 11:25 AM MST
      March 5, 2019 9:10 AM MST

I'm usually pretty tactful and plan ahead so there's a designated driver or Lyft or something involved with group outings. There's rarely any worry about who might or might not be driving. When that fails, I try diplomacy. When that fails, I tell the person I plan to report them to the police the second they leave. I've only gone that far a time or two but it is 100% effective. Only one harbored resentment after, but we weren't on good terms to begin with. 
      March 5, 2019 9:14 AM MST

• About 15 years ago I had to call 911 on my mother for drinking and driving. She, my sister and I were all supposed to go out for dinner. My mom was supposed to drive. She picked my up first, I got in her car and could tell immediately she was completely wasted. I had to jump out of the car while she was backing up and she drove away. It was a sad day, but I had to call the cops cos I was afraid she was gonna kill herself or someone else if I did nothing. Shortly after that we stopped communicating at all. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 8, 2019 6:46 AM MST
      March 5, 2019 9:31 AM MST

How sad ..:(
      March 5, 2019 10:48 AM MST

• Yeah it was. We never reconnected before she passed. She passed at a young age. I regret not mending fences before she died.
      March 5, 2019 10:49 AM MST

That's even more heart breaking I think...
    My grandad had a next door neighbor that use to get so drunk that he couldn't see....he use to take his young son with him to the pub where he drank to tell him where to turn and when to stop and go on the way home each night........to his knowledge ,he never once crashed... That was in the fifties  I think....:( 
      March 5, 2019 11:10 AM MST

• It’s sad to see anyone destroy themselves like that. Okay enough serious stuff :)
      March 5, 2019 11:12 AM MST

Some people can drink huge amounts and it not effect them.....others one sip it to much....lol
      March 5, 2019 11:14 AM MST

• Very true:)
      March 5, 2019 11:15 AM MST

Oh, that is really sad.  Mothers and daughters can be such good friends, but they can also be poison for each other.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at March 6, 2019 5:51 AM MST
      March 6, 2019 1:35 AM MST

• Yeah, we were never really close. I was pretty much numb to her at that point anyway. 
      March 6, 2019 5:02 AM MST

Well if I had no other choice I'd choke them out until they went night night then I'd take their keys. I lost too many friends to impaired driving so it won't happen again on my watch. Cheers!
      March 5, 2019 10:10 PM MST

If they were actually at my house I wouldn't let them leave if they were drunk.  If people just have a glass or two of wine it's one thing.  But if they have been drinking hard liquor and are drunk you can't let them drive.  You can keep the keys and let them go sleep in their own back seat though.  I don't have big groups over any more and when I have company we all live walking distance...all of the people I know around here and care to spend any time with.  So that's nice.  People can drink and then stagger on home. 
      March 6, 2019 1:39 AM MST

Not an issue per se in Austria, we have an excellent public transportation system which is cheap.  Parking is also another issue in the city core so Public Trans is the way to go.  I can get the dogs and myself to the core on Public Trans and take a cab home for around 18€.  We also rarely entertain in our homes. it is generally out 80-90% of the time.

Do note they have drunk stops even for those on Bicycles here.  A good friend got busted 2 years back for DUI on her bicycle and had the full weight of the consequences fall on her.  Unless you are on public transport one is slapped down hard if you are over .05.  In Sweden you will be jailed if you have had a drink and drive or ride.

Consequently we are culturally attuned to not do it

Stateside again not an issue.  We have few friends Stateside and when we do entertain they are like us - light drinkers.  Consequently the guest rooms have been used as well as Uber.  There is also Dram Shop regs in the US which we do not face in the EU
      March 8, 2019 6:55 AM MST

i would call the police and have thenn put a stop to it
      March 8, 2019 3:44 PM MST

Well, if I'd been to a party and followed a drunk driving friend trying to get him to pull over, I'd really have to stop when we got to the border - I wouldn't want to be done myself for transporting a female across state lines for immoral purposes.
      September 6, 2019 1:48 PM MDT