Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What is your "what if"?

What is your "what if"?

I've been thinking a lot about my what-if person...

What if we hadn't been so scared to say how we felt back then?

What if we weren't on opposite sides of the planet?

Now so much time has passed, but we are still friends. I'm seeing him for the first time in years this week... It's put me in such a nostalgic mood.

Posted - August 28, 2016

Responses

I'm not really having any what if moments... I'd need a wish for something being different if it should make sense to me. I'm not in such situation. I wouldn't miss what I got. I'm aware I'm being limited in my choices for the moment, but that won't make it a what if. Hmm. Not sure if I made sense to you. Sorry if not.

All my best for you seeing him again, and that you both will come out great from it. And, you just be as nostalgic as you feel like. :-)
      August 28, 2016 9:30 AM MDT

• Who knows ... It's our own sliding doors moment ... I think you never know till you draw your last breath and all avenues are then closed. .. Only then can you judge whether a decision was right or wrong ... We have a saying down here ... a souffle only rises once .. hugs for the meeting :)
      August 28, 2016 9:51 AM MDT

I don't go there.  I find that line of thinking quite boring and useless.  Anything I do not do automatically becomes a "what if".    Since I didn't, I leave it behind. 

August 28, 2016 10:12 AM MDT

What if I had not walked down that particular street that particular night and has not seen that particular woman?

What if I had not approached her?

What if I had approached her but the response would have been different?

What if she had been just another face, another name, another woman?

What if she had not said yes?

~
      August 28, 2016 10:21 AM MDT

• My entire life is. "what if...?"

August 28, 2016 12:34 PM MDT

To me it is an exercise in futility.   

August 28, 2016 12:38 PM MDT

August 28, 2016 12:39 PM MDT

• That's sweet Randy :-)

August 28, 2016 11:07 PM MDT

• What if EP hadn't closed down...what if I hadn't joined AM...what if I wasn't intrigued by his smart yet grumpy responses...what if I didn't make the first move...I would have missed out on something that's becoming really awesome!

I have learned that life can be short (not saying this because people say this) I went through a life threatening thing recently and now I'm really trying hard to grab life by the horns and go for what I want.  No more "what if's" for me.  :-)

August 28, 2016 11:12 PM MDT

I love that... I'm trying to avoid the "what ifs", this what if person was a huge lesson for me.

Glad things are awesome for you :)
      August 28, 2016 11:52 PM MDT

Isn't it wonderful that you'll never know the answers to those? :)
      August 28, 2016 11:52 PM MDT

I am truly happy having stayed single all my life and I have no regrets. But...I occasionally wonder if I had said yes to a certain proposal, if I would have been a different person and been just as happy being married and having kids. It's not that I am second guessing myself, it's just that I wonder whether my independent nature is the reason I stayed single or whether it was developed by staying single.

August 29, 2016 4:02 AM MDT

I understand, I don't really regret my choices, because I'm kind of happy with who I am... But you do wonder, right? I think it makes me understand myself better.
      August 29, 2016 4:04 AM MDT

• Oh well that's good.  :-D

Thank you :-) :-)

August 29, 2016 9:42 PM MDT