Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Do you ever plug things into an outlet when it's dark? Is there that one second when you think you might get zapped? ;)

Do you ever plug things into an outlet when it's dark? Is there that one second when you think you might get zapped? ;)

Posted - March 13, 2019

Responses

No way I'll get a flashlight so I can see what I'm doing - safety first is my motto. Cheers!
      March 14, 2019 12:13 AM MDT

How do blind people manage to get their stuff plugged in? I don't think you can get zapped by trying to plug something in in any normal circumstances. . This post was edited by Kittigate at March 14, 2019 8:58 PM MDT
      March 14, 2019 1:28 AM MDT

No. No. One prong is wider than the other. You absolutely have to look and figure out which way it goes before you can plug it in.
      March 14, 2019 1:53 AM MDT

• Okie dokie!
      March 14, 2019 8:59 PM MDT

No I would turn on a light. 
      March 14, 2019 8:09 AM MDT

• I'm too lazy sometimes.  lol
      March 14, 2019 8:58 PM MDT

You'd have to do something wilfully dangerous and actually very difficult, to receive a shock from a plug and socket in proper, intact condition, at least those made to UK standards. I don't know about other countries' standards.

The 240V 13A mains plugs and sockets sold in the UK have these precautionary design features making them intrinsically safe even if you handle them in the dark (or blind) :

1) The plug's two conductor pins are insulated for half their lengths.

2)  The earth pin is uninsulated for its full length and...

3)... is longer than the others so it contacts the wiring earth before the conductor contacts are made.

4) The socket has a mechanical shutter that closes the live and neutral apertures until the inserted earth pin opens it to allow the L and N pins entry.

5) By the time the L & N pins make contact their insulation sleeves are just within the socket fascia, and the gap between plug and socket is now too small for fingers. 

I think in some other national standards, the socket fascia is surrounded by a wall that covers the gap, but I do not know if the socket also has that gate arrangement.
      March 31, 2019 2:56 AM MDT