Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Has anyone ever died unexpectedly at your workplace?

Has anyone ever died unexpectedly at your workplace?

Posted - August 28, 2016

Responses

Yes...one of my students died of a brain aneurism in his sleep. Very sad. He was a good student.

August 28, 2016 6:22 PM MDT

Well I knew 2 people that blew them self's up in mining accidents.  One of them wasn't so un expected because he often came to work hungover (bond to make a mistake). But it was really unexpected with the other guy he was really experienced and really safety concise and he did ever thing by the book. Cheers!

August 28, 2016 6:38 PM MDT

• Yes, teachers are like parents to students in their care, and I can well understand your anguish.

August 28, 2016 6:40 PM MDT

• That's very sad indeed. For both of them.

Wasn't the first man ever counselled?

August 28, 2016 6:42 PM MDT

I work in a library, so there's always a chance someone who is sick could come into the building.  There was an old guy who sat down with a magazine, then nodded off.  Finally someone went over to check on him because we all noticed he'd been there quite some time and it was noticed that he wasn't breathing.  

We later found out the guy had several strokes previously and apparently had his third while he was sitting in our magazine section.  

August 28, 2016 7:27 PM MDT

The 2 accidents didn't happen at the same time they were about a year apart - nobody got concealing just a quick safety reminder then back to work. Cheers! 

August 28, 2016 9:14 PM MDT

• What a quiet, peaceful way to go!

August 28, 2016 9:21 PM MDT

• What a quiet, peaceful way to go!

August 28, 2016 9:22 PM MDT

Probably.  I have had a lot of jobs.  The one thing I remember is one guy od'ing in the bathroom where I worked.  We could work overtime for almost 24 hours so, he shot up on heroin in the bathroom of this huge office building with security guards marching all over the place to protect us.  

The best part of the story is a few years later I was working somewhere else and I struck up a conversation with someone at the new job about that same story.  I had never really told that story before because there was never any reason to.  And this time, it was out of the blue that I started talking about it.   Well, the guy I was telling it to, said one thing.   He said "Yes, I know. "   I said, "YOU HEARD THIS STORY?"   "HOW?"  "Does someone else work here from SMC?   He said, "Oh yeah.  I worked there.  That was ME."

...so obviously, he didn't die.  But he DID live to tell me about it years later.  Just as good, no?

The end.

August 28, 2016 9:58 PM MDT

Nope

August 29, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

yes, suicide

August 30, 2016 2:53 PM MDT

• "Just as good?"

No. Much, much better. And I hope he was off heroin then, and off heroin now.

August 30, 2016 5:58 PM MDT

•   August 30, 2016 5:58 PM MDT

• Of course, it was horrible at that time; but might such a death not be preferable to one which comes after a long, long illness?

August 30, 2016 6:00 PM MDT

Several, in fact.

One VP jumped off the roof of the building and splattered his brains on the driveway because the President & GM was always haranguing him. (If we took a vote we would have opted for throwing the President & GM off the roof instead, and that prick is still out there making people's lives miserable.)

There were also a couple of coronary's over the years that took people out, one (a bit after I left the company) whose name you would instantly recognize.

August 30, 2016 7:57 PM MDT

An associate at anther company died suddenly....very unexpected - too young...

August 30, 2016 8:15 PM MDT

•   August 30, 2016 9:18 PM MDT

• Bez

Not that I remember. I think I would have heard if it happened.

August 30, 2016 9:45 PM MDT

•   August 31, 2016 1:36 AM MDT

When I was stationed in Hawaii, a man from my platoon was sent over to the Motor Pool on a work detail. He was operating the tire mounter, a machine used for putting tires into the rims. He was not trained or qualified to operate it, and apparently, it's against regulations and against common sense to assign someone like him to it. Sure enough, something went wrong and he got hit in the head by something that travelled at light speed, either the rubber tire, the metal rim, a piece of the machine, something. The force was so traumatic that he died almost instantly.

:(
      September 13, 2016 12:34 AM MDT

• There must have been an inquiry. What was its finding, and what action was taken against those responsible? 

September 13, 2016 8:40 AM MDT

At an old factory job, a lady got her head trapped in a machine. I didn't not see it but people said while she was stuck but she was still talking to them, very sad.
      September 15, 2016 7:53 AM MDT