Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you ever regretted circumcising your son? Have you ever regretted NOT circumcising your son? What would you do differently?

Have you ever regretted circumcising your son? Have you ever regretted NOT circumcising your son? What would you do differently?

Posted - March 27, 2019

Responses

My son was not. It's his penis. He had it done a few years ago when he got a vasectomy.
      March 27, 2019 8:25 AM MDT

• That's very interesting.  There seem to be a growing number who elect to have the procedure done later in life.  Not to be inappropriately nosey, but was he happy with the outcome?  Was it something he had always thought about having done?
      March 27, 2019 8:33 AM MDT

I really don't know; I didn't ask him. He was mid-30's when he had it done. I don't ask about his private life.
      March 27, 2019 8:37 AM MDT

Don't have a son. But if I had I would not have had it done. 
      March 27, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

• To not perform the procedure,
    does seem to be an ever increasing decision being made on the part of many parents these days.

March 27, 2019 8:45 AM MDT

Great answer Anne ....:) 
      March 27, 2019 3:09 PM MDT

Thank you D. we used to talk about that on AB. 
      March 28, 2019 5:52 AM MDT

it's barbaric and evil ...yes ,I remember it well.... anyone that does it to a baby needs putting down...doctors that do it for no sane reason should be put down to....:(
      March 28, 2019 4:07 PM MDT

In recent years, however, there has been a widespread debate in the medical, ethical and, most recently, the legal communities concerning the surgery;s appropriateness.1 At first glance, the issue appears to be solely medical. But, after further analysis, one can see that it has religious, cultural, and even socioeconomic implications. A comprehensive review of the medical literature reveals arguments both for and against this routine procedure. BY FR. PETER A. CLARK, SJ, Ph.D. (Fr. Clark is professor, theology and health administration, and director, Institute of Catholic Bioethics, Saint Joseph's University; as well as bioethicist, Mercy Health System. Both organizations are in Philadelphia)

I was as an infant, and my 3 boys are as well.  I have no complaints, and given their general attitudes toward sexual intercourse, I am confident they do not consider it to be or have been a problem.

Of course that does beg the question: "How would we know what we are missing?"

Given what I copied and posted in italics, many additional considerations have been raised over the years that were not mentioned as potential factors when either I or my parents were responsible for male infants.

Making an informed decision at this time would require considerably more consideration of all the factors involved.

But as Justice Black once observed, "We must make decisions, on peril of our lives, because time is short."

March 27, 2019 8:59 AM MDT

I don't have a son.  But if it came to circumcision, I would do it.  That thing is GROSS as hell uncircumcised.  

And smegma collects under the foreskin.

GROSS.  

I think they should whack the entire thing off.  
      March 27, 2019 9:05 AM MDT

Now, now....lol
      March 27, 2019 9:11 AM MDT

• Boys don't wash and clean their hands regularly either, but we don't cut their fingers off at birth to prevent poor hygiene.

March 27, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

I have never laughed so much in ages....it makes more sense to me to cut the hands of those that commit such evil acts of helpless child mutilation .....:(
      March 27, 2019 3:02 PM MDT

And then they take those dirty hands and put them on their weenits and then we have a real conundrum.  They should whack them off too.
      March 27, 2019 11:19 PM MDT

There is nothing unhealthy about eating cheese....just wash your hands before you handle it.....and even more so if you insist on sharing it.....  :)D 
      March 27, 2019 3:07 PM MDT

• you saying cheese reminded me of this
      March 27, 2019 4:14 PM MDT

OH that is just so gross, I have no answer.
      March 27, 2019 11:21 PM MDT

Why do you ask?   :  I
      March 27, 2019 10:27 AM MDT

• Well, the question had been posed earlier this morning at Similar Worlds and as is usual there were many interesting yet conflicting positions on the whole topic of male circumcision so I decided to branch my involment in the discussion to a thread here at answerMug as well.  Its a topic that is of interest to me as is most matters that revolve around boys/men so I decided to get some feedback from the members here.
      March 27, 2019 10:31 AM MDT

I kept my boys intact. The eldest is an adult now and actually thanked me for leaving him as-is. I have no regrets about doing so.

I do know one adult male who had it done as an adult due to converting to a new religion. He didn't "regret" it per se. He thought it was necessary to follow his new religious teachings. However, he was certainly not thrilled about having it done. He did mention it was painful and that it negatively impacted sensation. 

And, for those who talk about it being "dirty." It's not. It takes like an extra two seconds in the shower to retract the skin and clean. It's not rocket science. 
      March 27, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

• You're right...It ain't rocket science.
    (sorry, I couldn't resist)

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 27, 2019 11:59 AM MDT
      March 27, 2019 10:42 AM MDT

Circumcision is not a big thing in the UK, unless you are having it done for religious reasons or for a medical reason i.e the foreskin is too tight. The foreskin is there to protect the glans penis from becoming damaged and to protect the mucous membrane that covers the glans penis from drying out. Therefore, having a foreskin is not dirty, if you clean under the foreskin it is perfectly clean. 

My cousin had her 2 year old circumcised and regretted it, it was for religious reasons (her partners religion), and afterwards she felt bad for giving in, she hated seeing him suffer a sore penis after the surgery and was riddled with guilt.
      March 27, 2019 10:48 AM MDT

im uncircumcised myself. Never had trouble with it.... Just when i was young , i didnt knew i had to pull off the foreskin to wash myself there, and it took years until i understood that and done it first time in the shower.

March 27, 2019 12:55 PM MDT

• i would be a lesbian before i would catch some circumcised dick. where else would i keep my feet warm at night
      March 27, 2019 1:01 PM MDT