Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you enjoy music that is way before you were born?

Do you enjoy music that is way before you were born?

I had a conversation with one of our employees about music. He guessed that I like rap music. I DO NOT. 

I told him that I like classic country like Patsy Cline, Hank Snow, Waylon Jennings and Hank Sr. He asked me if I was born in the 40's.  He will be  65 next month and loves artists like Colt Ford.

Who the crap is that? My response. I like all music but, my core every day is old country music. To each his/her own. 

Posted - April 19, 2019

Responses

I'm open to anything.
    :)
      April 19, 2019 8:06 PM MDT

Me too. He asked me if I like Nickleback. I do. He asked If I like Kidd Rock and I do. I also will listen to Stained, Nine-inch nails and the Beatles. I love all the big hair bands, White Snake, Van Halen..  Also, love America, Bread and Three Dog Night. I'm all over the place but, I love old country. 
      April 19, 2019 8:27 PM MDT

If I had to choose the "best," I'd choose Patsy Cline as the best singer I've ever heard. I remember literally hearing her for the first time on a TV that was  loudly playing in another part of the building I was in -- I heard this voice and ran to the TV to see who was singing. She "stops" me every time - - I sit back and just sigh in delight.
    :)
      April 19, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

Jazz like Count Basie, Bobby Hackett, Jack Tegarden, Lester Young,  Bix Beiderbecke.  Body and Soul by Coleman Hawkins.  Some early Dizzy Gillespie. I like some bands recordings - Tommy Dorsey Boogie Woogie, Erskine Hawkins After Hours, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington. Bing Crosby, Eddy Howard, Ella Fitzgerald,  Helen Humes. and other singers. And groups like The Ink spots and the Mills Brothers.  A lot of them lived into my life - I was born in 1957 -  but they were way famous long before I was born.  I have heard music by those people and others I liked though don't hear it that often. Mostly I like classical orchestra and chamber music, opera, and popular music from my youth.  Jazz from that period too.
      April 19, 2019 8:16 PM MDT

I adore Ella Fitzgerald and Bing Crosby. Tommy Dorsey and Duke Ellington run a close second. I was born in '67. My parents loved music and it was a very large part of my growing up years. I would listen to their albums on their HI-Fi for hours. I listened to everything from Queen to Englebert Humperdink back to Marve Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I love it all. Except, heavy metal and rap. 
      April 19, 2019 8:36 PM MDT

In the 1960s my parents had some singers and bands but mostly Broadway shows some of which my father took me to see in New York City.  Which was where his office was. Also orchestras such as Percy Faith and Mantovani. I don't like everything of any particular style and I remember when I listened to music on radio waiting through all kinds of songs I didn't like before they would play one I did like.  Kids my age grew up with The Beatles Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Motown, The Rascals, The Monkees, The Turtles. Lovin Spoonful and people like that. Herb Alpert, Humperdinck, Ella Fizgerald in those days mostly were people our parents liked.  Although I appreciated listening to Ella In Berlin and we had a record of Perry Como religious songs.  Queen were very big after I left home in the 70s but I paid attention more to black soul music at that time.  Like Marvin Gaye and Kool and the Gang, The Dramatics and people like that.  Aretha Franklin. This post was edited by officegirl at April 19, 2019 9:08 PM MDT
      April 19, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

• not a whole lot but a few songs here and there. it's not my go-to and i dont go out of my way to listen to anything. im just not into it. one of my all time favs tho is "in the air tonight" which came out 15 years before I was born, and pinball wizard which was released 6 years before my own mom was born lol 
      April 19, 2019 8:34 PM MDT

Here are some of my favorites:  Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Grieg, Glenn Miller, Patsy Cline, The Everly Brothers, Jimmy Hendrix, The Rolling Stones.  That's a pretty broad range, isn't it? This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at April 20, 2019 8:19 PM MDT
      April 19, 2019 9:21 PM MDT

My daughter and I were conversing about this the other day when she insisted that I let her listen to an Adele song as I flipped through the radio stations. The song in question was one that released the year I was pregnant with her and I happened to listen to a lot during the pregnancy. Adele became a chart-topper during my daughter's first few years of life and then dropped off, so she really has no reason to have an affinity for Adele. There's actually research that suggests the music we're exposed to while in the womb influences what we like after we're born and throughout our lives. 

I can say the same is true for me. When I was in junior high, I became particularly smitten with a song I'd never heard before that we learned in choir. I enjoyed the song so much that it was one I often sang to my son in place of a traditional lullaby. One day, my mother overheard the song and remarked that she couldn't believe I remembered it. She also used to sing the song a lot. It was Carole King's "You've Got a Friend," which predates my birth by about a decade. My mom was a huge Carole King fan. James Taylor and Jim Croche too. I like all those. My father gravitated more toward the Beatles, the Who, Herman's Hermits, and the like. I also have an affinity for all them. 

I grew up listening to the vintage country like what you mentioned as well. I had one grandfather who preferred it and I like that stuff too. My grandmother on that side adored polkas, which I also enjoy... I know, weird. Another grandfather preferred novelty songs of the 50s and 60s, like the Unicorn Song and Purple People Eater. I still adore those too. 

Most of what I like today is influenced by those singers and genres. I appreciate most music, but the things I cannot stand are things I never heard as a child- rap and gospel. I'd like to say that I've defined my own preferences, but I haven't. I think it's purely exposure. Sure, my greatest preference is alt/ punk, but I'm a 90s kid. I grew up in the grunge era. It's kind of to be expected I'd gravitate toward that, especially given what I grew up on. 
      April 19, 2019 10:41 PM MDT

Yes. I enjoy Rag Time, any Classical music, Big Band, Boogie Woogie, George Gershwin. Good stuff. :)
      April 20, 2019 12:02 AM MDT

Oh, you can say that.  I love ANCIENT music.  And I love music from the 40's and before.  I love George Gershwin and Cole Porter.

Especially.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 20, 2019 8:19 PM MDT
      April 20, 2019 12:59 AM MDT

This was written sometime between 1680 and 1705 (the exact date is unknown) and would have to be one of the most beautiful, haunting musical masterpieces in all history. It's glorious.

April 20, 2019 4:01 AM MDT

Of course, great music is timeless. I enjoy music from every era, though not every genre. 
      April 20, 2019 6:17 AM MDT

• I really enjoy the music my parents used to listen to - 40's Big Band music.  I like the music .. but I also like the memories of seeing them enjoy it so much when I was a kid.
      April 20, 2019 2:05 PM MDT

When my 2 sons were teens they called my music Old Fogey music (60's and seventies rock) now a days they listen to it and it's starting to look like our Granddaughter will be a rocker too.  I hope my boys have good memories of me playing Air Guitar to BTO and I hope they are a little sorry they laughed at me and my music. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at April 20, 2019 2:44 PM MDT
      April 20, 2019 2:43 PM MDT