Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Family » How often do you speak to your grown children?

How often do you speak to your grown children?

I only speak to my son or daughter-in-law about once every two or three months. Is that normal for most parents and their adult children? 

Posted - April 26, 2019

Responses

My daughter, daily. She still lives at home (until she gets married, now looking like next year). My son once or twice a week on the phone, about half that often in person - I dote on my grandchildren.
      April 26, 2019 7:13 PM MDT

My son and his wife live in another state and he owns his own business. He's 33 and shes 32. He's my only child and there are no grandchildren yet.  I guess I want to know if I should reach out more. When I call a lot of times, I get voicemail and no return call so, I leave it alone. Sometimes, my daughter-in-law will reach out but my son does not. I just assume that he's busy and doing his life. When he and I do talk, it's like no time has passed. I'm just wondering if I'm not doing more. 
      April 26, 2019 7:35 PM MDT

Next time you speak to your son, let him know how you feel. It has to be aa two way street but if you don't tell him, he most likely thinks you're ok with infrequent contact.
      April 26, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

It's normal that men have less contact than do women. In your case, your daughter-in-law initiates instead of your son. 
    ~
      April 27, 2019 1:19 AM MDT

They are my stepdaughters and they live nearby but they lead busy lives so now we see them infrequently perhaps a month or two goes by sometimes. Though I regularly watch one's infant son.  Only a few good visits per year now including holidays when I host the extended family. 
      April 26, 2019 8:02 PM MDT

My oldest just moved out a couple of months ago, so it's still a bit early in the game for us, but I was making a point of trying to reach out at least once per week just to check in. 

I have different relationships with my parents, probably more similar to what you have going on. 
      April 26, 2019 10:05 PM MDT

I'm not sure if I will ever speak to my child again.  It's up to her, I guess.  
      April 27, 2019 12:19 AM MDT

Bad blood in general, or just a temporary rift?

~
      April 27, 2019 1:20 AM MDT

• I just have one grown son.  I talk to him about once a month ... but more often when we have things planned to do together.  He's very busy and doesn't have a lot of time to chit chat.  That's OK, I understand.  I know if I need to talk to him .. I can at any time.  I don't want to bug him.
      April 27, 2019 6:30 AM MDT

That's exactly the way I am with him. He's my only child.
      April 27, 2019 6:56 PM MDT

• We know what works with our sons.  :)
      April 28, 2019 2:36 AM MDT

ive never had kids
      April 30, 2019 4:30 PM MDT