Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Is narcissism curable?

Is narcissism curable?

Posted - May 2, 2019

Responses

i hope so
      May 2, 2019 5:35 PM MDT

You don't get very far in life with a fixation on yourself so life usually cures that.  As long as you don't mean selfishness or self-preservation some of which is necessary for our survival. 
      May 2, 2019 7:17 PM MDT

Can you remove freckles with an ice pick? That's about how curable narcissism is. 
      May 2, 2019 7:21 PM MDT

No, it's not curable but it can be treated with meds and therapy.  But then, the narcissistic person may not feel there is anything wrong with them, in which case they may lose friends and family and feel socially isolated.
      May 2, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

•   May 2, 2019 7:49 PM MDT

• Yeah, I used to be a narcissist, but now I’m just faaaking perfect.  
      May 2, 2019 8:58 PM MDT

You are AWESOME twinny.  I should know.
      May 2, 2019 9:04 PM MDT

• ;) see you can’t leave again. I need you around to remind me how’s wonderful i am lol ;p 
      May 2, 2019 9:06 PM MDT

I got your back sis, ALWAYS  
      May 2, 2019 9:12 PM MDT

•   May 2, 2019 9:16 PM MDT

• Haa hha
      May 2, 2019 11:18 PM MDT

Based on what I know, here's my take on it.

There are times when narcissism is part of another condition, such as sociopathy. The brain of a sociopath is actually different than others. Scans have actually shown that they often lack the ability to see moral dilemmas. For example, you or I might get bumped by someone in a crowd and hesitate about how to react or we might have the flicker of a moment where we decide whether to lie or cheat in a game. They don't have that. And, without the person actually having the ability to be socially/ morally aware/ have empathy, they can't really be treated. There's no cure for the underlying condition. 

That said, narcissistic personality disorder, by itself with no other conditions influencing it, can be treated, but it somewhat depends on the roots. Most professionals believe there is a genetic undercore which is activated either by indulgent or neglectful parenting. ie The neglected child will learn to do anything he or she can to get attention. The indulged child will learn he or she is above all others. I would venture to guess it's easier to get through to the adult that was once a neglected child by working on learning empathy and demonstrating that there's a link between your actions and the outcomes. The neglected child can work through the childhood trauma as well. Eventually, these things will help him or her shed the narcissistic tendencies. I suspect the indulged child would be much harder to get through to. Whereas the other has a sense of entitlement stemming from "I work harder, I've overcome more, I've dealt with more," the entitled child has not had to grow or overcome adversity. And, in that sense, it may well be easier for the entitled child to protect him or herself by sticking to this alternate reality in which everyone else is an idiot. That's a very difficult reality to let go of. It totally shatters your sense of self. In either case, both can be treated, but the therapist has to understand how the person became a narcissist and address treatment in a way that's appropriate for the causes. And, as others have pointed out, narcissists don't often see anything wrong with themselves, so few enter into treatment anyway unless they're going in for depression or anxiety treatment. 
      May 2, 2019 11:12 PM MDT

• Wow Just Asking! I can't believe this! You're just brilliant! That was perfectly done and I am going to read it one more time! Not coming from a textbook either! Bravo! So true! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 3, 2019 12:08 PM MDT
      May 2, 2019 11:25 PM MDT