Active Now

Randy D
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Do you have Pam cooking spray in your home?

Do you have Pam cooking spray in your home?

Apparently the cans can explode and they didn't issue a recall: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/05/07/8-people-allegedly-burned-exploding-cooking-spray-cans-sue-conagra/1127053001/ 

Posted - May 7, 2019

Responses

Wow...good to know
    I Never use the stuff
      May 7, 2019 12:48 PM MDT

No!!  That kind of stuff is garbage!
      May 7, 2019 12:52 PM MDT

Heck no.  I don't use any oil that is stale.  This oil is more than stale.  It is rife with chemicals that are noxious.  And? It tastes awful.  

Any oil that sits too long and has a smell, needs to be tossed.  Any oil that is heated, is automatically rancid and toxic to the system.  So, heating PAM that has already been heated during the process of this product is really contributing to disease.

I don't have the specifics.  I know I am right from prior studying of this issue.  It is proven.  Oil is toxic when heated, to the human system.

Dangers of Heated Cooking Oils to Human Health

Oxygen4Life

November 19, 2014

PEOsHeating cooking oil is harmful to human health. If the oil undergo hydrogenation, it will be transformed into a trans-fat and it will lose functionality. Any procedure opposing or negatively impacting PEOs oxygen transferring capability is dangerous. The degree of adulterated cooking oil that is allowed in commercial restaurant use is very alarming when consumed by customers.

Fast food as well as fine dining restaurants often operate above the 25% “allowed” limit. Twenty-five percent is still highly hazardous because the range of harmful oils to good oils is a dangerous 5%–15%. When oils are heated, it undergoes adulteration which is highly resistant to oxidation at low temperatures.

Over the past decades, significant evidences has been collected that heated cooking oils, especially polyunsaturated oils can cause numerous  types of health risks to consumers of fried foods and even to people frying or working near deep fat fryers. Heat lowers polyunsaturated fatty acids to toxic compounds, saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids are resistant to heat-induced degradation.

Saturated fat is not hazardous to human health; in fact it cannot easily react with anything nor have its structure easily adulterated with baking or even frying. If you want to fry your food, highly saturated fats are best, however it is still advisable to use organic oils.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 7, 2019 2:36 PM MDT
      May 7, 2019 12:53 PM MDT

That's interesting info. Thanks.
      May 7, 2019 1:33 PM MDT

Why organic? Do the chemicals used in the growing of rapeseed have anything to do with the above?
      May 7, 2019 2:38 PM MDT

That's pretty wild.

Unlike Baba, Shuhak and sharonna (the posters so far), yeah, I do have some. I just went and looked.
    :)

However, I never use it anywhere near the oven/stove, whether or not the stove is hot or not. I've only used it in prepping cookware, long before the oven is hot.

But the can I have is beyond the expiration date - - August of 2018. Woops.
      May 7, 2019 1:32 PM MDT

Generic store brand spray canola oil.
      May 7, 2019 2:39 PM MDT

No.  I bought one can when it was kind of a new and cool thing.  Awful.  Gummy.  Can was greasy (which I cannot tolerate).  I threw it out and never bought it again.  I never figured out why people needed it and used it so much.  My feelings about WD40 are similar.  Oil in a spray can is just not a good idea, even though the masses buy it like crazy.  I guess the difference is I use very little oil and don't want it anywhere other than where I want it.  I don't even fry food in my house.  Every now and again I'll go out back with an electric skillet to fry okra.  That's it.
      May 7, 2019 4:15 PM MDT

• If you are dumb enough to keep a pressurized can of oil close enough to a burner it gets hot then you are beyond help.  Sorry, but how stupid.
      May 7, 2019 4:52 PM MDT

I'd be curious to know how close it was though. There were several incidents of exploding cans and we don't know the circumstances. I don't think the cans specify how many feet away the cans were from the heat source either. Sure, if you're placing your can on the stove, that's kind of asking for it. If you've got it a few feet away on the counter, I think it's an easier mistake to make. 
      May 8, 2019 5:38 PM MDT

• True,  its possible it was 3 feet away.  I doubt it though.  
      May 9, 2019 4:50 AM MDT

I've never used cooking oil in spray form.

I use rice bran oil for frying or baking because it contains no saturated fats and doesn't produce carcinogens at high temperatures.
    I also use it because it contains equal proportions of 3, 6 & 9 Omega and the flavour is very mild.
    I add ghee or butter at the end of cooking for Indian or French dishes, virgin olive oil for Mediterranean dishes, and a teaspoon of sesame or coconut oil for Asian dishes.
      May 8, 2019 12:05 AM MDT

no, i dont cook, i rnicrowave
      May 12, 2019 4:32 PM MDT