Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » What are some common misconceptions about people who are born and raised on the East Coast of the United States? ~

What are some common misconceptions about people who are born and raised on the East Coast of the United States? ~

Posted - May 9, 2019

Responses

Neelie recommended your misconception series but I find myself having trouble with it.  Now seems to me only way we can get into misconceptions is if we have something invested in a subject to begin with so it becomes important enough for us to point about the "misconceptions".  And I am not sure whether what I might think on any topic is or is not a misconception.  In all popular thought I am sure there are certain things accepted as fact which people buy into because I guess it is easier than investigating for themselves. 
      May 10, 2019 6:15 AM MDT

An answer doesn’t necessarily have to come from your own perspective: it’s possible to respond based on others’ misconceptions.
    ~
      May 10, 2019 6:19 AM MDT

Am sorry to be so serious about this but how would I know what the misconceptions of others are? I know some people believe all kinds of weird stuff but not sure how common those things are or how I would identify them as misconceptions. If they work for people and they trust in them then doesn't matter how much I might point out to them. 
      May 10, 2019 6:24 AM MDT

In conversations with people, or through reading, or listening to news and other media, through interactions with people, we have opportunities to get ideas of what they think. It seems obvious to me, I don’t know why it seems so far-fetched to you.
    ~
      May 10, 2019 6:28 AM MDT

I think it would depend on whether you're talking about the northeast or southeast.  Northeasterners are often thought to be stuffy, aloof and unwelcoming to those who can't trace their heritage back to the Mayflower.  Southeasterners are generally thought to be less educated.  And then you have the Middle Easterners who no one seems to iike :)
      May 10, 2019 8:36 AM MDT

not sure
      May 12, 2019 4:18 PM MDT