Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » How far have you ever driven with a near-empty gas tank AFTER the alert light came on? ~

How far have you ever driven with a near-empty gas tank AFTER the alert light came on? ~

Posted - May 9, 2019

Responses

• I don’t think I’ve ever let it get that low. Im all safety nutz when it comes to driving and getting stranded. I watch horror movies so I know what happens to the blonde chick who gets stranded on the side of the road. NOT GOOD. 
      May 9, 2019 10:45 PM MDT

The blonde chick?  You think that’s bad, look what always happens to the lone black dude in the horror movies!

~

May 9, 2019 11:45 PM MDT

• Why you always have to make every thing about you? We are talking about ME! My car, my horror movie fears. ME ME ME ME ME. 

May 10, 2019 8:29 AM MDT

Your questions are far better than his are.  

FAR BETTER.  I mean this is supposed to be non-irritating, this misconception nonsense.  Way to ruin a site.
      May 10, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

• Lol:) I don’t mind Randy’s questions... where’s yours though? You haven’t asked in a while. 
      May 10, 2019 8:33 AM MDT

Never.  Getting that low can mess up fuel lines, filters and such.
      May 9, 2019 10:58 PM MDT

99.6 kilometres. The light came on at Piangil, I decided to fill up at Managatang, 45km away, rather than turn around - I'd already passed the one gas station the village offered. When I got to Manangatang, the little hamlet's one service station was boarded up and abandoned so I had little option other than to continue on to Ouyen. The engine spluttered, coughed and quit for want of fuel as I rolled into the Shell at Ouyen, pushed it the last few metres to the pump. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at May 10, 2019 4:07 PM MDT
      May 10, 2019 12:09 AM MDT

Much more than I've driven with a near-empty tank before the gas light came on. O_o

I'm really not sure. I used to be good about keeping the tank full all the time. Not so much anymore. I think just about every time I've gone to fill it lately, I've had to cross my fingers it would start again and that it would make it all the way to the gas station. :o 

Miles-wise, probably 3-4. Duration-wise, I've left the gas light on for days and made several short jaunts. 
      May 10, 2019 12:14 AM MDT

Maybe your gas would last you a bit longer if you didn’t carry around all that extra weight in the trunk of your car. Let your hostage go already. I’m jes’ sayin’.
    ~
      May 10, 2019 6:14 AM MDT

Not far.  Years ago I was not careful and ran out in the middle of the highway in front of Shopper's World in Natick.  I was beside myself.  But this nice man came along and drove me to a hardware store and had me purchase a gas can which he then drove me to a gas station to have filled and then back the highway and helped me put it in my tank so I could get off the highway and to the same gas station which was within sight of where I broke down.  Since then I top up every chance I get!
      May 10, 2019 5:52 AM MDT

That only happened to me once and I was on the Turnpike, but I get about 30 miles to the gallon, so I was able to get to the next rest stop before actually running out of gas.  I'm usually pretty good about filling up when the tank is half full or a little less, but not that time.  I know it isn't good to let all that gunk go through your gas lines when the gas tank gets too low.  
      May 10, 2019 8:17 AM MDT

The fuel alert light/buzzer does so when I am down to about 5 gallons (according to the manufacturer).  50 to 60 miles is about as far as I would attempt.
      May 10, 2019 8:48 AM MDT

That has happened to me two times and both times I stopped at the first available fuel station.  I generally fill up the car at 1/4 tank.
      May 10, 2019 2:53 PM MDT

I don't even know what my alert light looks like.
      May 10, 2019 4:08 PM MDT

25 miles. I was sweating it but had no choice there were no stations.
      May 10, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

i dont drive but i wouldnt drive like that
      May 12, 2019 3:54 PM MDT