Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Judges in 6th Circuit say Chalking Tires is Unconstitutional. We really have that Constitution being thrown around a lot. What Say you?

Judges in 6th Circuit say Chalking Tires is Unconstitutional. We really have that Constitution being thrown around a lot. What Say you?

Posted - May 11, 2019

Responses

I say that the query, “What say you” gets on every one of my last nerves.  I never even heard it until Oprah Winfrey began saying it back in the days of her talk show, it drove me crazy then and it drives me crazy now. That’s what I have to say. 

Oh, about the 9th ACLU Circuit Court: par for the course, I say.

:|

May 11, 2019 12:20 PM MDT

There were obviously specific situations in 1789 that the framers of the US Constitution did not anticipate.  The lawyer for the plaintiff argued that chalking the car tire was a violation of the 4th amendment, and the 3 judge appeals court agreed.

One law professor, Orin Kerr, suggested that "parking enforcement officers could sidestep the constitutional issue altogether by simply taking a photo of the car rather than using chalk. 'That way parking enforcement can learn the placement of the car [without] physically marking it.'"

I'm willing to wait to see how everything pans out.

As to the phrase "What say you" itself, for me it's a nice change of pace to use occasionally.

It's archaic. In Shakespeare's time, the form seen in "What are you saying?" hadn't been invented. Seriously. "What say you?" and "What do you say?" were the alternatives. 

https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/58/messages/1572.html 

May 11, 2019 2:37 PM MDT

I read that.  Got a chuckle.  Install meters and forget about it.
      May 11, 2019 4:20 PM MDT

dont know anything about it
      May 11, 2019 4:56 PM MDT