Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Self-checkout is super convenient, but how about the cashiers and how are they going to cope?

Self-checkout is super convenient, but how about the cashiers and how are they going to cope?

Posted - May 13, 2019

Responses

I don't to self checkout.  The only two times I tried, I had trouble, had to wait for a manager to come and fix the problem and decided I could have gotten out faster had I gone to a cashier's line.  Besides, I support people having jobs. 
      May 13, 2019 12:23 PM MDT

I do too.  What I don't support is people having outmoded and useless jobs.  The time has come to find another career, I'm afraid, cashiers.

I had trouble a few times but mostly it is super fast and super convenient.  
      May 14, 2019 12:25 AM MDT

Well, as long as there are still cashiers, I'll head to those lines.  :)
      May 14, 2019 5:03 AM MDT

Right-on, Spunk.  If America followed your lead, we would have a different President.  Stick to your guns, girl.  
      May 14, 2019 10:37 AM MDT

LOL … thanks.
      May 14, 2019 2:07 PM MDT

ive had thern help rne with it when i bought sornething and didnt know how to use it
      May 13, 2019 3:43 PM MDT

I think they will always have people to help you when you are stuck on those things.  That's true.  We can still hire cashiers to supervise the robot machines.  That will save some jobs.  
      May 14, 2019 10:38 AM MDT

Maybe they can get jobs pumping gas. Oh, wait, never mind.
      May 13, 2019 6:00 PM MDT

It's time for a new career path, people.  Maybe they can work for Amazon.  I hear they are hiring and paying less than minimum wage.  Nice.  But the ECONOMY IS FLORUSHING.  Sure.  If you are a millionaire.  
      May 14, 2019 12:27 AM MDT

Amazon has new retail stores with no employees.

This post was edited by Jane S at May 14, 2019 10:36 AM MDT
      May 14, 2019 10:09 AM MDT

And THIS is the wave of the future, love it or not.  And, thanks to MORON TRUMP, Amazon is paying no taxes and gets a rebate.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 14, 2019 10:14 AM MDT
      May 14, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

Has nothing to do with Trump. Amazon is using tax laws that have been on the books for decades.
      June 7, 2019 8:35 PM MDT

*FLOURISHING. Hey, maybe they can get jobs at places like Theory Wellness, the dispensary I visited in Massachusetts the other day. Plenty of customers lining up outside, ordering from the menu, and needing assistance there. Open seven days a week and no self-checkout for their product!
      May 14, 2019 10:36 AM MDT

That is just pathetic.  We run things a lot smoother here.  No one lines up.  No one waits and if you need your meds fast, you just call in and order them.  I used to have to buy at vending machines five years ago when it was just legalized.  That was not so bad, but the quality was.

You never knew what you were getting.  I don't buy flower any longer.  The stuff they use to grow this stuff is bad and I can taste it when I inhale. It tastes like a bunch of chemicals and the effect is poor at best.  

The edibles are far superior.  But, that is another story.  Try the food.  
      May 14, 2019 10:42 AM MDT

Tried the gummies, but they did nothing. My cousin and I loved what we smoked, however.
      May 14, 2019 11:15 AM MDT

Gummies are horrible.  If you had a good smoke, I trust you.  You have been smoking for awhile like me.  We have absolute GARBAGE for flower down here.  I don't know how they manage to conjure up great edibles, but they have amazing ones.

This company Amy & Al's is the best I have found.  I doubt if you will see it where you are, not for a long time.  But you will be able to get ones just as good, I'm sure.  Don't let those garbage gummies stop you from trying the food.  The actual food, like brownies and cookies.  I have had some lame foods, but usually they are very nice and long lasting.  
      May 14, 2019 11:19 AM MDT

I think the gummies are the only edibles this place carries.
      May 14, 2019 11:44 AM MDT

That's how it starts and in a year there will be greedy capitalists aplenty cooking up a storm for those dispensaries.  
      May 14, 2019 11:46 AM MDT

... until the robots take THOSE jobs:
      May 14, 2019 3:03 PM MDT

Perhaps but doubt I will ever figure it out.  The few times I have tried it resulted in tragedy and holding everybody up. Once this particular store was having labor troubles and they were on strike so one of the managers ran my purchases through for me.  And gave me a plastic shopping bag

May come the time there will be no more cashiers - I have lived to see much weirder things happen. Then I will no longer be able to shop.  One town in Eastern MA now only accepts iPhone payments for parking meters.  No longer do they take cash.  So I can no longer park there.  Other towns only take credit cards which I refuse to use for 75 cents or a dollar.  I guess all the cashiers who can't figure out anything better to do will all be living on the money the government has taken from me through taxation and given to them. 
      May 13, 2019 7:44 PM MDT

I think you are in some place where Christ lost his sandal.  I mean YONDER in the boonies.  Maybe that is why the self-checkouts are not the best.  Maybe they are just trying them out for the first time and they are not working properly.  They are easy to use and I am just like you.  I get frustrated.  And I hate not knowing what I am doing, especially if there are people waiting.  But if you get a good store and good autocheckouts, you will see how amazingly easy it is.  
      May 14, 2019 12:30 AM MDT

I heard a story on NPR the other day about a place that tried not taking cash ... and they lost so much business, they had to go back to accepting cash.

I have to admit, I don't get it.
    Last I knew, American currency was "legal tender, for all debts public and private" in the USA.
    So how can anyone refuse it for payment?
      May 14, 2019 11:52 AM MDT

That is just insane.  I guess they think they won't get robbed that way.  How about just NOT getting robbed by adding the right security measures? 

I went to a restaurant in CHICAGO of all places, that would not accept credit cards.  I learned this after I ate a meal and there were no signs except a small one by the register in a busy, crowded restaurant.  I had to go find an ATM for these ignorant morons. I should have just not paid them.   But I was with a group and they would have had to cover me.  Really irritating.  And the staff? They looked at me like I WAS NUTS for not having cash on me. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 14, 2019 12:35 PM MDT
      May 14, 2019 12:33 PM MDT

The lines for the cashier checkout are always
    so long, 8 to ten people with big shopping carts
    full of groceries so
    I use the self check out. Besides I never
    have a big cart full of groceries.
    First few times I had lot's of trouble
    but the lines are so long
    I figured it all out
    and now it's a breeze
    and so much faster.
    Seriously most people prefer someone
    to do their checkout
    so the lines are always long...Very long.
    So the demand for someone to do their
    checkout will always be there as I see
    on a daily basis.
      May 13, 2019 9:38 PM MDT