Active Now

Danilo_G
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Self-checkout is super convenient, but how about the cashiers and how are they going to cope?

Self-checkout is super convenient, but how about the cashiers and how are they going to cope?

Posted - May 13, 2019

Responses

I'm not sure you are right.  I have seen over and over what the DEMAND does.  The DEMAND usually gets totally ignored if a company loses money because the demand is expensive.  It costs a lot more to hire people than it does to house machines that can do the job just as good or better.

May 14, 2019 12:33 AM MDT

I only use self-checkout if I have half a dozen items or less and I'm in a hurry. The supermarket bosses have cut the numbers and hours of checkout operators regardless of whether customers use the self-serve or not.
    I prefer to shop at Aldi - cheaper and no self-checkout available.
      May 13, 2019 9:43 PM MDT

I prefer to shop at Fry's.  Not cheaper, but a big selection and good stuff and two huge lanes of self-checkout machines as well as cashiers.
    And? There is a bar in the grocery store with fine wines and a bartender.  There is rock and roll music pumped in and the people are spectacularly nice.  Who can ask for anything more?   Oh yeah, and they have fresh homemade pizza hot for you and all kinds of goodies like that.  

The best Fry's is in Anthem Arizona.  

Store Services:
    • Atm
    • Bakery
    • Beer
    • Bistro
    • Boar's Head
    • Books And Magazines
    • Check Cashing
    • Cheese Counter
    • Coffee Bar
    • Coin Star
    • Cosmetics
    • Deli
    • Drug & General Merchandise
    • Floral
    • Fried Chicken
    • Grocery
    • I-wireless
    • Kitchen Place
    • Kosher Food
    • Liquor
    • Meal Kits
    • Meat Department
    • Money Services
    • Natural And Organics
    • Olive Bar
    • Online Deli/Bakery Ordering
    • Pharmacy
    • Pickup
    • Red Box
    • Rotisserie Chicken
    • Seafood Department
    • Self Checkout
    • Starbucks
    • Sushi
    • Western Union
    • Wine
    • Wine Tasting Bar
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 14, 2019 12:39 AM MDT
      May 14, 2019 12:37 AM MDT

Did you just discover this?  I love it, myself, for grocery shopping.  I bag everything the way I want.    That when I go to Winn Dixie.  I shop more often at the Publix which doesn't have self checkout.    Both have paper bags which I highly prefer. 
      May 13, 2019 11:03 PM MDT

Oh God no. I have used them over cashiers for quite some time.  I wrote the question because it is on the news that tons of women (mostly women are checkers) are going to be out of jobs soon because the idea is so successful.  
      May 14, 2019 12:23 AM MDT

In theory ... self-checkout machines mean less cashiers, but more higher-paying technical jobs (for repair/maintenance).
    Of course it's not a one-for-one trade of jobs.

I have no problem with using self-checkout.
    Especially since I normally have less than a dozen items, and self-checkout is faster than the "express" lane.
      May 14, 2019 11:55 AM MDT

I think acting like you are making a stand by using cashiers is patently ludicrous.  Who is going to get on board with that nonsense?  People cannot even get it together enough to make recycling effective.  
      May 14, 2019 12:29 PM MDT

The biggest problem I have with self-checkout are:

1 - The tend to close those lanes too early.
    And around here, they do it at the same time they reduce the number of cashiers, so it creates longer waiting times in line.

2 - Most of the self-checkout lanes don't have much room for placing your purchases.
    If you have more than a handful of items, there isn't enough counter/bagging space.  So you have to put items in your cart, which then signals that you aren't putting enough weight on the bagging area so you have to wait for an override.
      May 14, 2019 12:39 PM MDT

1.  Piss poor management always astonishes me.  Even to this day. 

2.  I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY.  I mean who designs a machine that cannot fit the product?  That is like having a car with one seat.

3..  And did you notice that MOST of the checkers that are assigned to oversee the problems of the auto-check machines are usually frazzled and totally miserable?  I'm sure this is a major part of the reason.  I don't have to signal anyone for lack of space anymore.  They have managed to improve that part here.  But I feel you. That is the WORST.  
      May 14, 2019 12:44 PM MDT

The local WalMart has 14 self-checker lanes ... 2 of them are full-length, conveyor-belt counters and bagging areas.
    They also have 12 cashier stands ... but seldom more than 3 cashiers.  I think they went up to 5 for Black Friday.

The local Fred Meyer / Kroger just had a remodel and added 12 self-checkouts ... so it now has 24.
    But half of them are always closed, and they have no "full size" ones.
    At least some of the open ones are at the end of the store where they only had 1 cashier on duty - even though they always had 4 cashier stands there.

Come to think on it, the local places that have installed self-checkout ... I haven't noticed any fewer cashiers than they had in the past.  
    They've just taken out unused cashier lanes and replaced them.
      May 14, 2019 12:56 PM MDT

I love the self-check. They recently but the ones in with the belt and tried to send me over there. Nope. That is double the work and time. Defeats the purpose. Just grab an extra cart and place in it as you go. 
      June 7, 2019 8:43 PM MDT