Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Have you ever played a character in a stage or film production, whether professional or amatuer? What part did you play?

Have you ever played a character in a stage or film production, whether professional or amatuer? What part did you play?

I remember playing the fiery, caustic, wizard apparition, in "THE WIZARD OF OZ"  I was mad because I would have preferred the part of the kindly wizard behind the curtain.  Imagine me playing the heavy.  That part was so flamboyant and hammy.  I was obviously miscast.

Posted - May 22, 2019

Responses

I bet you were great!!
    :)

I'm an extra in the movie "The Shawshank Redemption."

And I've been in lots of stage productions and dance/ballet productions. One of the parts I danced was the evil sorcerer "Koschei" in Stravinsky's 'The Firebird" ballet.

Oh -- and I danced as one of Cinderella's stepsisters in Prokofiev's "Cinderella" ballet. The stepsisters are often played by male dancers and they're the only comic relief in that ballet.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 23, 2019 3:55 PM MDT
      May 22, 2019 6:45 PM MDT

• Oh, if only I could get my hands on footage of you as one of those annoying step sisters.  I'd gladly pay to see that.  LOL!
      May 23, 2019 9:12 AM MDT

Ha!
    And I played the ditzy stupid one while the other guy was the burly smart sister. 

We had a blast!

That'd be fun to sit down and share watching it with you and Judas Goat! You guys would like it I bet. (And Prokofiev's music score is great to me.)
      May 23, 2019 12:09 PM MDT

Not a stage or film production but once at the annual Growers Ball - I played Sister Mary Elephant from Cheach and Chong and I wowed the audience. Cheers!
      May 22, 2019 6:46 PM MDT

Class . . . class . . . SHUT UP!!!!

;)

Excellent!
      May 22, 2019 6:48 PM MDT

(Cheech)
      May 23, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

I was in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade, and the elementary school did a Christmas production of "We Three Kings".  We acted out the parts as our choir sang it. I was the only black child in my class (there were only six black children in the entire school, and three of them were my siblings), so my teacher cast me as King Baltazar.  It was then that I learned that Baltazar was black*.  I was so jazzed when I learned that, you would not believe it! I felt proud that there was a role that only I could play, and it made me feel special.
      We rehearsed just like real actors and actresses, someone's infant played Baby Jesus, even though he or she was about 2 years old.  Students were stage hands, ushers, crew, everything. 
      When the costumes arrived, my brain almost went super-nova.  I wore a long, elegant gold robe trimmed in ornate designs and a big ol' crown, and carried a staff.  Each of the Kings sang his stanza solo, so for that brief moment, all eyes and ears were on me. I loved every second of it.
      The night of the play went well, except for the part where I knelt down while presenting my gift at the manger.  My robe slipped off my leg, exposing my big ol' ashy knee for a split second.  I quickly covered it up, a true professional.  The show must go on!

*Later in life, I learned that for that region of the world, it wasn't likely that anyone was caucasian at that time period. Meh.

~

May 23, 2019 4:33 AM MDT

• Randy, I love that story.  I can visualize every bit of that in my head.  Thank you so much for replying. 
      May 23, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

As did Twinkle Dink, I enjoyed reading your story, Randy D.
      May 23, 2019 12:10 PM MDT