Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » In many cultures, bowing to one another is a gesture of respect, and carries other meanings too. If you are not from such a culture, do you

In many cultures, bowing to one another is a gesture of respect, and carries other meanings too. If you are not from such a culture, do you

consider it beneath you to bow to another person?

When I served in the US Marine Corps, I had contact with people from all over the world, and I spent many years in various locales all over the Pacific.  In addition to my overseas time, I was stationed in Hawaii for over five years, and several different places throughout California.  Whenever a military unit is about to enter a foreign country, there is a briefing given to explain the customs and cultures (don't give tips in country X, it's considered disrespectful, don't extend your left hand towards a person, never make direct eye contact because it makes them uncomfortable, when someone pours a drink for you using one hand on the glass and the other on the vessel, it's the highest form of respect, so accept the glass with both your hands, do not place a glass upside down to indicate that you don't want a refill, never place the butter knife on the plate after you have used it, place it on the table next to the plate, always ask how a person's parents are doing in country Y, when paying a bill, never place bare cash in a person's hand, use an envelope instead, take your shoes off when entering a house, etc.).
  When it came to the custom of bowing, we were told that people in many Asian countries know and understand that bowing is not an American custom nor a Western custom, and that they would understand if we did not bow, or did not know how to bow properly. HOWEVER, if a person from that country bows first, failing to return the bow is tantamount to rejecting an offered handshake.  A polite nod of the head sufficed in place of an actual bow, but even then it had to be done in a certain way.
  Unfortunately, and this is what jogged my memory of this and prompted me to write this treatise, there were a few young Marines whose attitude was, "I ain't bowin' ta NOBODY, especially no d****ed Jap, hell, we won the war, not them, and they're the ones who started it by bombing Pearl".  (Mind you, I began my military service in the 1980s, not the 1950s or 1960s.)  There were some, well, let's say "unenlightened" young chaps, to say the least.

~

Posted - May 25, 2019

Responses

I wouldn't consider it beneath me to bow to another person if that was the custom.  It's arrogant for someone to think that they're better than someone else.  Unfortunately, many people tend to think that their customs are universal (americans are especially noted for this).  If someone were not aware of my country's customs, I would try to be lenient with them... and I'd expect them to show the same courtesy to me if I were in their country. 
      May 25, 2019 4:05 PM MDT

No, I don't consider it beneath me to bow in a country in which that is part of their culture.  When in Rome ...
      May 25, 2019 4:11 PM MDT

May 25, 2019 4:15 PM MDT

I am all for respecting another country's customs. I was in Bahrain during Ramadan and the evening cannon went off, indicating they could eat. I had shore patrol and was talking with a couple of gate guards who offered me food. I had just eaten a huge meal and explained that to them. They understood and offered tea instead, which I took.
    By the way, you made two typos.
      May 25, 2019 4:27 PM MDT

Thanks for the heads-up about those two errors; I have just edited them.

~

May 25, 2019 4:34 PM MDT

...one the glass...on the glass.
    Must I do everything for you? No Vegemite...one year.
      May 25, 2019 8:42 PM MDT

The only people I respect that much are my parents ,siblings and extended family....who I live with and close friends to and of course Sir Richard Attenbourogh or other people just like him....
    Bow to people I don't know ......I don't think so ...
      May 25, 2019 4:43 PM MDT

Would you curtsy to the Queen? I would bow to you. (If you let me see your shoe collection.)
      May 25, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

No I would not....who does she think she is....I'm not a dog for performing tricks...She is the only one of them all that I don't dislike though...

ypYou are a very wise man Mr E.....lol
      May 26, 2019 3:55 AM MDT

May 29, 2019 11:22 PM MDT

No need for a sad face when responding to me ....I'm the happy person as you well know....grrrrrr :) 
      May 30, 2019 2:07 AM MDT

Namaste
         I bow to the God within you
    in deep respect has
    been for centuries
    a spiritual aware response to the
    moment we share in consciousness.
    .....As time has passed it is now in some cultures a nice sign of respect
    to the other. 
    Culture customs are very beautiful
    They help us connect a little more to
    the Oneness of this life we share.
         And also as Time has passed
    we have lost our deep awareness of our
    Spiritual Awareness in favor of
    the Bling in life.
         This question 
    brings about the rekindling of all we are
    beyond the Bling.
    Cheers

May 25, 2019 5:55 PM MDT

Very good and interesting post - different customs.  I learned to bow in my hippie days because a lot of the people I came in contact with were into Eastern cultures.  But way that I have always done it is not a full bow but sort of a quarter bow like a little more than a nodding acknowledgement. When they expect me to shake their hand I often bow like that at the same time.  But a lot of people only expect the handshake from men. 

No I would not curtsy to the queen or the pres. or anyone.  Though I learned to curtsy in etiquette classes when I was 12. 
      May 25, 2019 8:53 PM MDT

And those are the morons who comprise Trump's base. Ignorant scum who have no idea what respect even means.  They speak volumes about themselves.  They are the same ones who cry GET OUT and BUILD THAT WALL.  Just the finest people on the planet.  

SCUM.  
      May 26, 2019 12:15 AM MDT

Not beneath me but I tend to nod when in unfamiliar cultural shenanigans.   It seems everyone sees a nod positively.  I don't mind appearing out of the know as to others' cultural and social graces.  
      May 26, 2019 12:30 AM MDT

• I have no qualms about following local customs. I've been to Japan and SE Asia, and have followed their ways. Refusing to do so reveals an ego problem, which most likely is an inferiority complex. 
      May 29, 2019 5:06 PM MDT