Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Those of you with chemical sensitivities, do you have trouble getting friends/ family to stop bringing chemicals into your home?

Those of you with chemical sensitivities, do you have trouble getting friends/ family to stop bringing chemicals into your home?

i.e. Cleaners, scents, etc. 

Posted - May 28, 2019

Responses

• YES!!!!!!  
      May 28, 2019 4:31 PM MDT

I don't have any, but what what kind of chemicals are you talking about?
      May 28, 2019 5:34 PM MDT

I never had problems with this type thing.  I never hesitate to say what may or may not come into and/or remain in my home.  We aren't people with a lot of allergies so it hasn't been a big problem.  I've told people to go put their pot in their car though.  My husband got mad at me but I didn't care.  This was in the college days. 
      May 28, 2019 6:45 PM MDT

(got angry)
      May 28, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

This use of mad as a synonym of angry is completely fine in conversational and informal speech and/or writing.  It has been since the 1300s. 

mad

adjective
    \ ˈmad  \
    maddermaddest

Definition of mad

3  informal intensely angry or displeased

//What are you so mad about?
    //Everyone was mad about the delay.
    //That kind of behavior really gets me mad.
    //I'm so mad I could spit.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mad

This usage of the word mad came into existence in the 14th Century.  

So, relax.

May 29, 2019 1:13 PM MDT

My husband claims to be a hound dog. When we first met, he was honest and said that my perfume gave him a headache. He was unsure as to which one. We went to the bathroom and I let him smell each one. The one he picked, I had just bought. I threw it away. That astonished him. I told him I wasn't going to wear something that made him feel bad. I have never bought that perfume again.

Honesty and caring are what it takes. He is sensitive to everything from fabric softener, candles, perfume, and bug spray. I do not use anything that makes him feel bad. 
      May 28, 2019 7:50 PM MDT

Thanks a lot. After reading this, I thought it would be a great thing, so I tried it with my wife.  I said to her, “I don’t like a thing about you!”  I thought she‘d rip herself from my life.  I was wrong.  I haven’t seen very much of her since then. Oh, it’s not what you think; we‘re still married, we still live together, sure. It’s just that until the swelling in my eyes goes down, I won’t be able to see much of anything

~

May 28, 2019 8:06 PM MDT

That could be a good thing. Just think, you can't see her either until the swelling goes down. But, she can still hear and will make her way to the kitchen to make a sandwich once commanded.

lol...commanded. I slay me :D
      May 28, 2019 8:19 PM MDT

I do not fall into that category of people.
    ~
      May 28, 2019 9:52 PM MDT

I've had a similar problem with my daughter wearing certain scents.  Not too long ago, when my daughter was a teenager, she used to like this very sweet grape perfume from Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It was so very sickeningly sweet, it would make me gag.  I practically begged her not to wear it, but she was too busy being a teenager, lol

Recently I went to visit her and my grandson in her apartment and as soon as I walked in the door, my nostrils were offended by this thick, flowery scent.  I asked her what the heck was that awful smell and she told me it was a lilac scented Glade Plug-In.  

She bought it because the downstairs neighbors' cigarette smoke kept wafting up to her apartment. Ironically, I told her I'd rather smell the cigarette smoke, as much as I hate the smell of it. 

Hopefully, one of these days we'll get this right!

May 29, 2019 8:44 AM MDT

No alleges etc. So not an issue. I do tell people,  No chokin' inside.  It comes off a little funny worded that way so I find they take it better. 
      May 29, 2019 2:36 PM MDT

i havent had those issues but irn allergic to a bunch of foods
      May 29, 2019 3:52 PM MDT