Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What can I do to make things right when I let my emotions get the better of me?

What can I do to make things right when I let my emotions get the better of me?

Posted - May 28, 2019

Responses

May 28, 2019 5:31 PM MDT

I'm guessing you don't mean all emotions, just the negative ones like anger, jealousy, grief or fear.

It depends.
    If it's grief, the best thing is to let it flow whenever and however it arises. The more you allow yourself to feel it, the sooner it will eventually ease up and pass. It's necessary. Not grieving inhibits the capacity to love again.

If it's anger, try to repair whatever damage was done. If someone has been hurt, apologise, say exactly why whatever you said was wrong and that you're sorry you lost your temper. If something has been damaged, repair or replace it. If someone has been injured pay their medical bill.

If jealousy is wrecking a relationship, wait till you're feeling calmer and have a discussion with your belovéd about what's really going on. Listen to her. Really listen. It's important to hear and accept her truth.

If it's fear, and maybe you're regretting some missed opportunity, have a look at the fear. What's the worst that could happen? How realistic or likely is that outcome? How could you minimise the risks? How could you break the thing down into much smaller, more manageable stages or parts? Do you need to acquire more skills to accomplish something?

Returning to anger, it's better to learn how to recognise the feel of the first pulse of tension --
    take preventative action before you get the chance to express it. 
    This takes diligence. Honestly, it takes years. I know because I was a rage addict and I had to teach myself... all sorts of things:
    1. how to see the emotion underneath the anger - fear, shame, or emotional or physical pain (recognise and understand whatever underlying need is not being met - find alternative ways to meet the need)
    2. how to stop, go outside, and burn up the adrenaline with exercise or hard physical work
    3. how to self calm by changing my way of thinking about something
    4. and sometimes, how to use my anger as the energy to help create positive change

I strongly recommend Vipassana meditation as the best method for learning how to deal with anger. This post was edited by inky at May 29, 2019 1:41 PM MDT
      May 29, 2019 1:40 PM MDT

pray
      May 29, 2019 3:51 PM MDT