Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Two-part question: yourself included, do you know of anyone who has NEVER been inside a bar AND someone else who has NEVER been inside

Two-part question: yourself included, do you know of anyone who has NEVER been inside a bar AND someone else who has NEVER been inside

of a house of worship?
~

Posted - May 29, 2019

Responses

I don't know anyone who hasn't been to one or the other, not even my 7 month old grandson.  He's been in a bar and a house of worship. 
    However, my chihuahua has never been to either (or is it neither?).  He says it's against his religion.  But I don't believe him because he's senile.

May 29, 2019 7:58 AM MDT

You are correct using “either” instead of “neither “, because it’s preceded by a negative (in this case, it’s the word  “never”).  Had you written the sentence/phrase with the word “neither”, it would have to be worded a little differently, such as:

. . . my chihuahua has neither been in a bar nor a house of worship . . . 

Or

. . . my chihuahua has been in neither of the two . . .

~
      May 30, 2019 5:41 AM MDT

Yes and no.

I don't know anyone who hasn't been in a "house of worship".

However, I do know someone who has never been in a bar - me.  
      May 29, 2019 9:41 AM MDT

no
      May 29, 2019 3:41 PM MDT

I'm sure but those are not things I would go around asking anyone.  Though both have social functions I would point out that we can drink without being in a bar just as we can worship God without repairing to a church building.  Although I have spent much time in both because now I am married and not a member of a church I seldom go into either bars or churches. 
      May 30, 2019 8:25 AM MDT

Why do you assume that answering the question would require someone having gone around and asking people?  Theoretically, there are people one encounters during a lifetime who get to know each other and get to know things about each other over the course of time without “going around asking”.
      May 30, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

But I don't make a habit of prying into people's lives.  There are people I know have been there because I have seen them there or we have talked about it. Most people I have no idea about either past or present.  But reading about all the people who demonize either alcohol or Christianity I would certainly guess there are people who stay away from both. 
      May 30, 2019 8:36 AM MDT

Once again, it’s not a question of prying or not prying. The original post is not worded, “ . . . have you asked anyone . . . “ nor is it “ . . . do you pry into people‘s lives to find out if . . . “

Newsflash: in the normal interaction that you have with people, and that you have had with people during your life, you know certain things about them. Simple as that. Not every single thing you know about people is based on you having asked them nor is it based on you prying. 

Why the heck is it so easy for you to continually twist simple concepts into some convoluted ménage that has absolutely nothing to do with the original points?
      May 30, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

I'm sorry - perhaps I did not grasp the original points.  I thought you meant people I was sure of. You did not ask how many we imagined or tell us to make an educated guess.  Not sure I even really understand why you would ask such things. Unless maybe you are just curious.  Anyway I tried to make an answer which perhaps I should not have.  Which it would not be the first time. I mean no disrespect.  I just have never thought about such things on my own.   
      May 30, 2019 9:04 AM MDT

Praying for forgiveness for your actions at the bar the previous night has been known to be done by many people.
    With my group of friends, no.  I don't think I do at the moment. 
    Big Winks and Smiles!
      May 30, 2019 12:53 PM MDT