Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Military » Do think that as we add more technology we lose awareness of our past?

Do think that as we add more technology we lose awareness of our past?

Like...what are these things anyway ??

Posted - May 29, 2019

Responses

Yes, partly, that is probably true.

But not only do we lose awareness of our past, I believe we lose awareness of our present, and, in some ways, we fail in our ability to effectively and successfully communicate one-to-one, one-on-one, in person with each other.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 30, 2019 12:05 PM MDT
      May 29, 2019 10:05 PM MDT

• But what about those brown things with all the paper inside?
      May 29, 2019 10:19 PM MDT

I was going to mention those book-things, too, yes
    :)
    They're still here, part of our (and my) present, but maybe they're on the way out, unfortunately. But I'll always cherish them as part of my present.

-- I still like HOLDING things in my hands, like albums, CDs, DVDs, books, newspapers, writing in cursive, holding pencils and pens and writing on paper -- 

May 29, 2019 10:29 PM MDT

• I feel the same.

Its written ideas that have the power to move and change people.

And  words on paper that will still persist after censors and thought police shut down our internet access, bug our phones, and control the airwaves.
      May 29, 2019 10:43 PM MDT

I still read the newspaper and read real books, write cursive (although I must admit that my handwriting has suffered because I type so much), hold pencils and pen and writing on paper.
      May 30, 2019 9:10 AM MDT

Yes.
    Yeah, I guess my answers up there were a but unclear - - I didn't mean it to include everyone. I meant it seemed to be sort of heading in that direction, of not using all of those things.
      May 30, 2019 3:49 PM MDT

I am 30 yet I cannot agree any more. This is my feelings exactly. 
      June 1, 2019 3:16 PM MDT

Hey, thanks, Mr Singh! I appreciate your letting me know.
      June 1, 2019 6:44 PM MDT

Sure, but
    as long as we don't lose awareness
    of our presence beyond time and space
    were good to go.
      May 30, 2019 12:24 AM MDT

Yes it's so true in many ways.....no one hardly knows how to use a map or atlas any more....we are being indoctrinated in to using things like Google and sat nav's....These things all leave a personal second by second fingerprint  and footprint of everything you say or do.....
    Big brother is also in nearly all of our homes in the devoloped world with Amazon Echo devices that are capable of listerning and recording every word you say.....so many TVs have cameras installed in them and connect automatically to the Internet....
    You are not alone in your home any more....
    if you have electronic security tv wireless devices in your home ,nearly anyone can aceess then
    m to....
      May 30, 2019 2:26 AM MDT

Yes if we are young and/or not interested on the past. 
      May 30, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

I think we all have lost a part of it by Not physically holding the books, the albums, the newspapers, the children's books, etc.
    Part of the fun of it is actually holding and feeling the words that were written.
    All technology is robbing us of a huge part of being human.
    Contact and touch.
      May 30, 2019 12:08 PM MDT

No I don't---at least not simply because of the existence of an advanced technology.  Not everything in our past has a high present value.  And not everything needs to be remembered to be aware of where we are in the present. 
      May 30, 2019 4:12 PM MDT

rnaybe
      May 30, 2019 4:57 PM MDT