Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Jehova's Witnesses DO NOT VOTE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They need to GO.

Jehova's Witnesses DO NOT VOTE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They need to GO.

I never denigrate other religions as a rule.  But THIS?  How?  How can they support living in a country and ignoring the right to vote?  That is insulting to America.  I realize that TRUMP is insulting to America, but this is insulting to sharing and contributing to a preferred way of life.

How do they get to sit on their butts and just bask in the glory of America without lending any input into what is needed and wanted?

Educate me on this one.

Posted - June 9, 2019

Responses

I'm not a Jehova Witness so I can't educate you on this one. Perhaps a Jehovah Witness will answer your question. If not it doesn't take much effort to visit one of their websites to find out why they don't vote. Then, even if you may not agree with them, at least you will know why they don't vote and/or retain political neutrality. :)
      June 9, 2019 10:14 AM MDT

Why do you think you need to educate me.   I think that you are totally lost on the idea that maybe JUST MAYBE we all ask questions on here when WE ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER.  HELLO?

I AM THE QUEEN OF COPY/PASTE, REMEMBER?  I NEVER ASK A QUESTION FOR WHICH I DON'T ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER  (that is a total lie, by the way, I am full of it) 

Do Jehovah vote?

Jehovah's Witnesses are known to be politically neutral and for refusing to vote. They have suffered imprisonment and even death (such as Malawi) for abstaining from involvement in political affairs. However, the requirement not to vote has varied over time.
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 10, 2019 12:21 AM MDT
      June 9, 2019 11:49 PM MDT

WE ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER, HELLO? Of course, for some, that's a gimme. Just as your response to me was a predictable and foregone conclusion. That's why coming here is so much fun. The interaction can be entertaining. What's even better, we can also all learn something along the way. Never too old for that. Thank you for your response. :) This post was edited by rusureamisure? at June 10, 2019 1:07 AM MDT
      June 10, 2019 12:48 AM MDT

WOW.  I am glad you are having fun.  I am.  I was worried you would be mad at my response.  I am not trying to get you mad.  Glad you aren't.  
      June 10, 2019 1:06 AM MDT

Jesus taught his desciples "be no part of this world"

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/political-neutrality/

The Watchtower is sorta like their Trump; ya gotta believe what you are told to believe. 
    This post was edited by Kittigate at June 9, 2019 11:35 AM MDT
      June 9, 2019 10:14 AM MDT

Jesus also SAID: Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's.  In otherwords, obey the earthly laws.  They are there for a good reason.  If we are of this world and of society, we need to contribute.  In all ways as brothers and sisters.  If they don't agree they need to move to Jehova Land and build a wall to keep them in.  
      June 9, 2019 11:52 PM MDT

The old maxim, “ For God and country“ does not apply to J-Dubs’ belief system. It’s Just Jehovah, baby. 24-7. And He is a jealous master. 

The temporal, physical world we all know is portrayed as inherently wicked and beset by temptations and Satan, which means allying oneself to any segment of said corrupt world (to include participation in govt) with all of its attendant heathens and heresies, is forbidden. This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 9, 2019 1:50 PM MDT
      June 9, 2019 11:49 AM MDT

I know they have a ton of contradictions.  But this one, is a bit over the limit.  As I said to Kittygate, Jesus (whom they follow to the letter) said Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's."

If you are of this world, you need to follow the rules of your society.  Jesus said so.  And if Jesus said so, so did His Dad.
      June 9, 2019 11:55 PM MDT

So Jesus allows for paying taxes and debts, but voting in public elections wasn’t a reality in 1st century Palestine, so it might be understandable that it isn’t specifically covered in scripture. 
    As far as societal “rules”, voting is a right and a privilege, not an obligation (but I think you and I are among many who consider voting a personal imperative). The rules allow it, not require it. 
      June 10, 2019 6:37 AM MDT

It may surprise you to learn that there are plenty of Americans who are eligible to vote but fail to do so.  The U.S. has one of the lowest voting rates in the world.  
      June 9, 2019 1:18 PM MDT

Why do you think that surprises me.   Little does.  But this is not the issue.  The issue is that they think they are doing God's will by shunning something that benefits society.  I fail to see how behaving in this manner merits a smile from Jesus.  
      June 9, 2019 11:57 PM MDT

I agree, but what can you do?
      June 10, 2019 7:45 AM MDT

• Who gives a fahk if Witnesses vote.  I don't care if anyone does or doesn't vote.   Especially religious nuts.
      June 10, 2019 6:21 AM MDT