Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Paranormal » What are some common mistakes people make when comparing astronomy and astrology? ~

What are some common mistakes people make when comparing astronomy and astrology? ~

Posted - June 14, 2019

Responses

The biggest mistake is many folks believe astrology is real.
      June 14, 2019 7:43 AM MDT

That doesn't answer the question.  We want to know the difference between astrology and astronomy.  Not that astrology is fake.  Try again.  
      June 14, 2019 11:10 PM MDT

Er, um, perhaps you should re-read the question, because you're not even close to what it asks. 
    ___
      June 14, 2019 11:41 PM MDT

Maybe they just have a telescope and not a telephone or email to contact the Stars with...:( 
      June 14, 2019 4:27 PM MDT

Forgetting which is science and which is superstition.

I agree with Element.

Unfortunately, I've often met people who take astrology very seriously - enough to have picked up the jargon. Despite the BS of the system, people reveal the way their minds work when they chat about their charts. Amazing how some young women would only consider a man with plenty of compatible trines and hexes, especially around Mars and Venus. They had no better luck with their selections of partners than if the choice had been pulled from a hat.
      June 14, 2019 9:10 PM MDT

Hey, wait . . .

~
      June 14, 2019 10:17 PM MDT

You stole Merlin's hat. Big trouble for you.
      June 15, 2019 8:11 AM MDT

I work with symbols also. They are called numbers and are put into equations. The forces between a human and celestial objects are so miniscule we have no instruments to measure them. The sun and moon are the only exceptions.
      June 15, 2019 8:15 AM MDT

ah, yes.....and I bet you NEVER thought to have your own birthchart done/analyzed.along with a 6 month or one year forecast, right?

HOW THE HELL can someone debunk something they've never investigated? makes no sense at all........

I've studied it for many years; went to a professional astrologer and told her some little white lies; she told me I was either testing her or didn't have the correct birth time, which is very important in casting a chart.........I told her I was not a skeptic, but just wanted to make 'sure' about it.

What I lied to her about was my choice of career....she told me right off it was not really for me...then proceeded to tell me what she saw was the best career path for me, and she was absolutely right.

There are many branches to astrology..one I like is vocational...you can tell a person's 'native' interests/abilities thru their birthchart.....

Another very exciting use of it is for newborns....WOW what an incredible ''manual' for the new parents......with this they will learn everything about the child; it's good points, bad points, inborn and innate talents, etc...

I know by know you are probably laughing your ass off.......BUT AGAIN HAVE YOU EVER BOTHERED TO INVESTIGATE IT????

no, it's not about living  your life with/by it, but using it AS A GUIDE............WHICH WE ALL NEED AT SOME TIME OR OTHER IN OUR LIVES.

other branches of it are compatibility between people, couples,family,friends, etc.......and so on.

SOOOOOOOOO  you'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor by going online to any one of the excellent astrology sites, and getting your birthchart analyzed, as well as at least a 6 month forecast.........you have nothing to lose........many of these sites will email your report within 24 hours..........

June 15, 2019 8:43 AM MDT

. . . it's good points . . . its

However, a child is not an "it", a child is a he or a she. Just like you wouldn't respectfully refer to an adult as "it", the same goes for children. There is no magical age at which one is no longer consider an "it", is there?

Additionally, you wrote (in part):

HOW THE HELL can someone debunk something they've never investigated? makes no sense at all......

I beg to differ, and I offer some examples. One need not investigate everything in life to know whether or not he or she finds it not to his or her liking. I've never specifically investigated what it would be like to be one widowed, or lose a limb, or find myself homeless, or the victim of a violent crime, or make pattern baldness, or contract a terminal illness, or any other myriad of life experiences that I consider to be distasteful.  If you have made decisions during your lifetime that are exclusively bases on investigations or research that you did prior, fine, that's your choice. Others have the right to make decisions in ways that differ from your own methods, and if you allow openmindedness, you might not chastise someone who did it his own way. 
    ~

June 15, 2019 1:58 PM MDT

Thanks...it also bothers me greatly when folks call babies and small children it and I will tell them.

bases...based
    I have a cousin...
      June 15, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

Science...can be proved or disproved
    Non-science..neither
      June 15, 2019 2:27 PM MDT

They are the same thing.
      June 14, 2019 11:07 PM MDT

That they know more about one than the other.  
      June 14, 2019 11:11 PM MDT

That's not a mistake. I know a lot of astronomy. I only know enough astrology to debunk it.
      June 15, 2019 8:17 AM MDT

THE mistake is in "comparing" them. They are totally different things.

Astronomy is the serious study of Space and the objects in it; to understand them in their own right.

Astrology is just one or another version of various ancient superstitious beliefs in imaginary effects of apparent (but spurious) patterns given by stars and planets.

However, despite being totally illogical, astrology "works" in a very simple, rather crude psychological way for its believers. We tend to remember apparently-correlated events giving some sort of co-incidence for us. Most people shrug them off as just co-incidence, but many are unable or unwilling to recognise the difference between co-incidence and cause.

If they hold fast to ideas like astrology, the difference becomes even more blurred or lost altogether.

For example, let's say you gain an award for some significant examination or competition you had entered a few months previously, then remember on night previous to that attempt was moon-less and gave you a superb view of some planetary conjunction.

Now most people would say they admired what is a fairly unusual but purely astronomical event, and perhaps remember its date as the eve of the examination; but know the two events can have no real link whatsover.

The fervent supporter of astrology though, would try to claim "obviously" that conjunction influenced their purely-human, Earth-bound endeavours.      

It didn't. The events were purely co-incidental but made more memorable by being unusual in their own ways. 

"Astrologers" exploit this inability to differentiate co-incidence from cause, by more subtle psychological tricks such as leading questions and suggestions sufficiently imprecise to be likely to straddle their customers' real lives. They might mention some happy, significant event of a type common in families - and amazingly, the subject recalls something at least partially matching that suggestion; thus giving the fortune-teller a useful handle on the subject's life.

The rest, the "Ah well, Mars and Saturn were in conjunction" or "Venus was framed by Orion", or whatever, is just mumbo-jumbo, even if there genuinely was that particular astronomical alignment. Like the constellations themselves, they are merely optical effects of our view from Earth, but carefully offered to give the subject the misleading impression of cause rather than mere co-incidence.

So the subject emerges even more convinced "astrology" is a genuine "ology", when really it's just superstition that makes money for fortune-tellers! 

June 15, 2019 10:36 AM MDT

Do you realize that your answer shows the comparisons and the differences between the two of them?  By pointing out the differences, you've compared them. 
    ~
      June 15, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

Best answer. I like the words 'superstition' and 'crude psychological way'.
      June 15, 2019 2:30 PM MDT