Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How's this for A Hopeless Dilemma With No Solution?

How's this for A Hopeless Dilemma With No Solution?

The automatic hand dryer in the restroom was so damn loud that I desperately needed to plug my ears while using it

Image result for automatic Xlerator hand dryer

Posted - June 20, 2019

Responses

I'd just forget the drier and let my hands drip dry in their own time.

June 20, 2019 10:29 AM MDT

Good idea. bookworm! Funny, I just stood there and winced instead of just walking away.
    :)
      June 20, 2019 6:46 PM MDT

Even though I cannot control what others do with their hands, I don't use them.
    One of the reasons is just as you said.  They are violently loud.
    If I am going to pierce my ear drums, I would much rather be at a concert and enjoying the music!
    Another reason is they don't deliver what the loudness projects it might.  I mean, come on!  If you are going to make that much noise, I except rocket power to blow me out of the bathroom!
    To top it off, it is using electricity we really don't need to waste.
    The other option that is equally bad but much quieter is paper towel drying.  This causes a huge mess and is also not very absorbent.
    How many trees do you think gave their lives for us to pull them out of a container, use only part of a towel, hope we hit the waste basket knowing it will go into a landfill and are still not satisfied?

Air drying is the way to go.  Running your hands through your hair, while still damp, allows you the opportunity to fix your hair and primp it up.  Also, if there are going to be germs (which I am not afraid of) but if there are, I'd rather them be my germs than anyone elses.
    When you wipe your hands on your jeans/shorts, you might just be smearing the dirt.  Even though your hair is probably dirty too, it has less dirt than your jeans.
    All in all, no noise pollution, no waste of electricty, no dead trees, and a refreshed hair do.
     :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at June 21, 2019 6:33 AM MDT
      June 20, 2019 10:39 AM MDT

Hey...I wash my pants every two weeks. They're not dirty.
      June 20, 2019 10:57 AM MDT

Sounds good, Merlin!

Image result for man running hands through hair gif

June 20, 2019 6:50 PM MDT

Perhaps stuff tissue in your ears in preparation for said dryer?  I've done this when I've forgotten earplugs when watching formula one at the race circuit :D

June 20, 2019 10:54 AM MDT

I thought the noise at the race track was part of the allure.
      June 20, 2019 10:58 AM MDT

I thought that too, but my ears disagreed, I felt like they'd start bleeding it was so loud, we go down to pit lane for the start up as well.  I can take the superbikes, not the formula one.
      June 20, 2019 4:18 PM MDT

Yup -- that's it, only even louder. I stopped listening and stopped the video so fast it was still at the 0:00 mark when I stopped.

Thanks, kjames.
      June 20, 2019 6:53 PM MDT

Dry you hands on  your pants.  I would never turn on one of those hand dryers.  Never.  Even before someone came out with "proof" that they only spread around the germs in a public bathroom.  I never used them.  I rather dry on my clothes.  Yep.

Try to call hopeless dilemma only things that really matter.   I can't put my elbow in my ear but it is not a hopeless dilemma...it is just a fact. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 21, 2019 7:14 AM MDT
      June 20, 2019 7:06 PM MDT

Yeah, sometimes obvious and rational solutions evade me, like wiping hands on my pants and leaving.
    ;)

I purposely exaggerated the strength of word choices as an attempt at humor. 
    I realize none of my question is anywhere near a dilemma, you're right.

That's interesting about those Break-the-Sound Barrier dryers spreading germs - - really FAST!  -- around the bathroom! I didn't realize that but I'm not surprised.
    Is that why you don't use them? Because they may end up spreading germs? Makes sense to me. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 21, 2019 4:03 PM MDT
      June 20, 2019 7:19 PM MDT

I've never used them.  When I was a kid they scared me.  As I got older I realized they made the room hot and I didn't like pushing that button to turn them on.  Then I learned about germs.  The result of all of that:   I hate them.    
      June 21, 2019 12:52 AM MDT

I'm sort of glad I asked this question -- I've had some similar thoughts and feelings about those dryers!
    I really appreciate your going into some more detail, Thriftymaid.

And totally off-topic - - "Beach Music" STILL stays with me in my being. I can't remember any of the characters' names but they all seemed like real people to me. And that one son and father with the strained relationship -- powerful to me.
      June 21, 2019 6:33 AM MDT

I was going to just list the important ones but I couldn't bring myself to eliminate any of them.

Characters[edit]

• Jack McCall – The main character in the novel, Jack, is coping with the recent suicide of his wife, Shyla. A cookbook and travel writer, he flees Waterford to the peaceful life of a Roman Piazza with his daughter Leah. He is the oldest of the five McCall brothers. Jack is the narrator, and to some extent his character flaws and passions make him an unreliable narrator, though he's always an honest one.
    • Leah McCall – the daughter of Jack McCall and Shyla Fox. There is an ugly custody dispute over Leah involving Jack and Shyla's parents (after her death), but a final letter that Shyla left for Jack proves his adequacy as a parent.
    • Shyla Fox – Jack's wife, daughter of George and Ruth Fox. Commits suicide by jumping from the Silas Pearlman Bridge.
    • Dupree McCall – The second oldest of the McCall brothers, Dupree works in the state mental hospital. His occupation often bears with it the burden of his younger brother, John Hardin, who suffers from schizophrenia.
    • Dallas McCall – The third oldest of the McCall brothers, he is a law partner with "The Judge" in Waterford.
    • Tee McCall – The fourth oldest of the McCall brothers, Tee is a teacher for autistic children in Georgetown County.
    • John Hardin McCall – The youngest of all five McCall brothers, John Hardin suffers from a variety of psychological illnesses and often spends time in the mental hospital in Columbia, SC.
    • Martha Fox – Shyla's younger sister.
    • Ruth Fox – Shyla's mother; Leah's grandmother.
    • Judge Johnson Hagood McCall – Jack's father and the town's functioning drunk, "The Judge" has been divorced from Jack's mother for years, but he pines after her still.
    • Lucy McCall – Mother of the five McCall brothers. Suffering from leukemia, Lucy wants to spend her remaining days on the beach, surrounded by her family and the endangered loggerhead sea turtles. It is her illness that summons Jack and Leah out of Italy and back to the states.
    • Silas McCall – "The Judge's" father; Jack's grandfather.
    • Jordan Elliot – A close friend of Jack's, he moved to Waterford when the two were in high school. A military brat with a tyrant father, Jordan struggled against authority in his youth. He is caught in a scandal which has motivated him to retreat to/hide in the priesthood in Italy, which is where he and Jack reconnect.
    • Mike Hess – Another one of Jack's high school friends, Mike is a Hollywood producer. He wants to tell the story of their childhood through a mini-series that he hopes to produce. Having recalled Mike as one of the nicest guys from his youth, Jack recognizes (as does Mike, himself) that Hollywood has changed Mike for the worse.
    • Ledare Ansley – Capers Middleton's ex-wife, Ledare is one of Jack's childhood friends. Beautiful and charming, Ledare becomes more and more important to Jack as the novel progresses.
    • Capers Middleton – Another friend of Jack's from high school. His father's heritage is known for their aristocracy and political prowess in South Carolina. Capers hopes to run for governor of South Carolina. After back-stabbing Jack in college, he tries to reinstate his friendship with him after Shyla's death.
    • Max Russoff – Ruth's adopted father; after Ruth went through the Holocaust it was Max "The Great Jew" who rescued her from Poland.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Music_(novel)

June 21, 2019 3:59 PM MDT

Oh, very nice! Thanks for posting this!

Yes, Jordan Elliot - - I'm unsure why his character moved me so deeply. And his relationship with his father.

And Lucy McCall and her love for the turtles - - so moving to me. 
    I'm very glad I took you up on your several recommendations you posted about the book around the site on various questions/threads that I had seen.

I realize that Jordan was the character I was most struck by - - but reading the list over, they're all coming back  --  oh, Shyla.

I'm glad you didn't eliminate any of them.

June 21, 2019 5:48 PM MDT

What a nice surprise, seeing reference to one of my favorite novels on this thread! 

RIP Pat Conroy... I'm glad he enjoyed his life, but wish he'd written more books before he died. Such a loss. 
      June 23, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

I'm glad, SavvyAnsley!

Yes, here and there on the site, I had seen Thriftymaid mention several times this book by Pat Conroy - - "Beach Music" --  and how much she liked it.  I finally decided to go buy it and I read it and I was blown away in all sorts of great ways.
      June 23, 2019 11:18 AM MDT

You're in for a treat, if you've not read his other novels. He was a master and legend! I do think Beach Music is my favorite. 

June 24, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

Conroy is my favorite author.  Love everything he wrote.  There are two I have not yet read. 

We miss you, Mr. Conroy -- wordsmith extraordinaire!

June 23, 2019 2:41 PM MDT