Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Who's your comparable artist to my Howard Jones?

Who's your comparable artist to my Howard Jones?

I admit that I am incredibly biased in favor of Howard Jones' all-around talent - - songwriting, singing, performing. Over and over he speaks to me, betters my life, inspires me and does it all with top-notch music. My example here is just one of countless examples i could share.

And he so often, to me, NAILS the intricacies of emotions. Few love songs express it so well -- some lyrics of his "What Is Love?" (just this excerpt says so much more than the usual-from-so-many-others' - - "Hey, babe - - you're great!")

" . . . and maybe love is letting people be just what they want to be,
   the door always must be left unlocked.
To love when circumstance may lead someone away from you
and not to spend the time just doubting."

EDIT:

And the lyrics are very profound to me, all of them -- so, besides the official music video I posted, here is the same song with lyrics shown

Posted - June 25, 2019

Responses

I kind of agree with the lyrics.

My image of love is the way one encourages wild birds to nest in one's garden.
    Provide safety, shelter from the elements, water and a shallow dish to bathe in, and a regular supply of nutritious food, but no cages of any sort.
    Such nurturing love inevitably leads to familiarity which may feel secure and nurturing, but routines and regularity dampen ardour.
    Sexual love is wild, dies from attempts to tame it, so it must be allowed to be free in order to thrive.

We do ask too much of romance.
    Too often it's the unrealistic demands that cause the destruction.

My kind of pop music is Enya, Kate Bush, Shiela Chandra.
    Normally, I'm less into pop, more into world fusion of folks and classical traditions, and the jazz or rock variants.
    I prefer original music and jams to covers.
      June 25, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

Thanks, bookworm. Interesting stuff you've shared.

I particularly like Enya a lot, too!
    :)
      June 26, 2019 7:26 AM MDT

It sounds like all of the 80's rolled into one.  

Very breezy and upbeat.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 26, 2019 7:27 AM MDT
      June 26, 2019 12:09 AM MDT

I'm there with you -- I like Thompson Twins!! Yes!
      June 26, 2019 7:28 AM MDT