Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Size is relative. What is the size of the hamlet village town city in which you live? D'ya like it bunches?

Size is relative. What is the size of the hamlet village town city in which you live? D'ya like it bunches?

These are 2017 figures.

The size of the city in which I currently live is 85,160. I think of it as a small town

I have lived in

Los Angeles (4 million)
Boston (685,044)
Detroit (673,104)
Riverside (327,728)

Those numbers of course are 2017 so when I lived in those other places the numbers were smaller. But the ratio was probably the same.

So what is small to you town-wise? What is medium and what is large? Do you like better living in small, medium or large places? Why?

Posted - June 27, 2019

Responses

New York City has about 8.5 million people.  I've never lived anywhere else, but I would like to try living in a smaller town with less congestion.
      June 27, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

WHOA NELLIE! That is LARGE L! Perhaps one day your life will travel a different path. Is there any smaller town you have in mind? Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 27, 2019 11:37 AM MDT

I am thinking about a move to Pennsylvania in the Brandywine Valley.  One of my sisters lives down there and I love it.  Suburban enough to be peaceful yet close enough to shopping, malls, etc. and an hour to Philly.
      June 27, 2019 1:12 PM MDT

Oh my gosh L I visited the Philadelphia area many decades ago with my then-fiancee! My first experience with a Bloomingdale's was in King of Prussia, PA. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! The entire upstairs was devoted to food! Imported foods of all kinds! Foodie heaven!. We visited the Bucks County Playhouse and ventured in and looked around. It was very nifty. We walked down the Italian Market streets area there with all the shops and stalls. and aroms of cheeses and meats We had lunch at Bookbinder's, known for its luscious pies. We walked down some tow trails. That was in the early 1980's! I am unfamiliar with the Brandywine Valley. An hour from Philly sounds ideal to me! That will save you from your periodic drives there! Good luck and if you do decide to move I hope your move is trouble-free! Really exciting sweetie! I have such good memories of my  brief visit there. Oh I walked up the same steps Rocky ran up. The library wasn't it? I saw the statue of Benjamin  Franklin on his horse. It's funny how vivid those memories are and they decades away from my now. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :) Thanks for the share too my friend! :)
      June 28, 2019 3:28 AM MDT

I've been to the King of Prussian Mall and to Gino's for a Philly Cheesesteak.  Haven't done much more sightseeing than that other than the campus of Temple University where one of my nieces did her undergrad years.  The campus itself is beautiful, but the surrounding areas are very downtrodden.  It's unfortunate because some of those beautiful brownstones could be fixed up and the place would look wonderful.  My sister is midway between Philly and Lancaster.  I've been to the Amish country many times.  I'm not moving for at least another year or so.  Happy Friday. :)
      June 28, 2019 7:24 AM MDT

Thanks for the info update sweetie. Very exciting for ya! ((hugs)) Is there a Blomingdale's there now? This was decades ago! :)
      June 28, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

To be honest, I'm not sure.  It's been a while since I was there last.
      June 28, 2019 11:04 AM MDT

Hello Rosie
    The town in which I live has a population of about 5,700 people, so it is a small town.
    I love it here, the weather is beautiful, the people are friendly. Woodside keeps new building to a minimum,  new homes are built to replace existing structures. Lots are large and there are no "tract" homes. The town is located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay area so it isn't a far to everything a larger city has, shopping, entertainment etc.
    I will never move from here, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live
    Have a great day
      June 27, 2019 2:47 PM MDT

I remember your sharing photos of your property des years ago on Answerbag. Breathtakingly beautiful. You'd have to be nuts to want to leave it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      June 28, 2019 3:29 AM MDT

London it has a population of 8 million plus which swells to over ten million each day ,not including all of the illegal immigrants...
      June 27, 2019 4:09 PM MDT

Whoa Nellie! That's a VERY LARGE CITY D! Is it crowded congested  crammed full shoulder-to-shoulder 24/7? Is traffic unbearable? Are you on the outskirts more country than city? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday sweetie! :)
      June 28, 2019 3:31 AM MDT

We live about 5 miles NW of the City of London Rosie....Those that work in the City are the most arrogant unpolite pigs I've every encompassed .
    Local government have made the roads un drivable ....stop to pick some one up od drop them off while sitting in a traffic jam and you will be filmed and fined as the government milks it's cows....
    Its the most ugly horrible place to visit and it's all tall buildings with plain and characterless  glass curtain walling....
    It never sleeps and a three mile cab ride cost £ 30 or $40 with out a tip....if the traffic is heavy and slow moving ,it will cost you far far more than that....
    I live withing a short walk from Hampstead Heath....not far from where Dick Turpin plied his trade....The roads here are jam packed with vechiles in the morning and evening in rush hours....,
    There is a famous road called Bishops Avenue ...it had the most beautiful huge old houses lining both sides of the road....They were all protected listed building and most all were demolished so wealthy Arabs could build Mosque like homes there....It's an ugly garish road now.....I feel like vomiting each day I pass it....I try my hardest not to drive down it ,I'm sure if you google it you will agree with me 100% ....:(
      June 28, 2019 4:01 AM MDT

Condolences honey. It sounds terrible horrible awful. I shall Google it. I cannot imagine the stupidity that caused such a travesty. I know. GREEDY BASTA**S! How else would you explain destroying history and replacing it with ugly garish meaningless nothingness? I keep thinking the Brits are logical respectable and respect the past. There was much nobility there. Replacing it with people living there who behead dismember as casually as you drink your daily tea is anathema to me. I can only opine about what it is to thee. You cannot get back what has been destroyed! A POX ON THEIR HOUSES D. Thank you for your heartfelt and detailed daily life. That's what happens when greedy SOB 's steal/grab/cheat to gain power. :(
      June 28, 2019 5:10 AM MDT

Peoples lust for money is only outweighed for thier lust for power.....There are so many left wing local governments in the various neighbourhoods that soon you won't be able to travel anywhere with out a state controlled permit ...
    Every local council rob people for the tiniest infraction of any of their childish rules.....go on second over your parking ticket time and you get an automatic fine from one of the countless thousands of cameras that are installed to spy on people.....
    Big brother has been with us years over here Rosie, but the English are just to stupid to realized it and do something about it I'm afraid.... 
      June 28, 2019 5:52 AM MDT

So "left-wing" is responsible D for all the crap going on in YOUR country? Here our left is Democrats, Progressives, Liberals. How is your right-wing extremely Conservative folks? Good as gold or fool's gold too?  Here the extreme right-wing is FASCIST RACIST so they're the bad guys. I know the terms vary in meaning from country to country.Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      June 28, 2019 6:43 AM MDT

I think they all end up Tared with the same brush Rosie...:( 
      June 28, 2019 12:44 PM MDT

Around 260,000.
      June 27, 2019 7:02 PM MDT

Does that size suit you to a T E?  What is the best thing about Toledo in your opinion? If Jim and I were to visit your city what would you recommend we see? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      June 28, 2019 3:33 AM MDT

We have the best zoo/aquarium in the country (US News and World Report.) Our riverfront is beautiful. (Speed boat races today.) Downtown has been renovated, but parking is at a premium, especially when the ball team is in town. Our highway system is constant roadwork, so I stay off of it. I know the surface streets well, making us a 20 minute city. People are friendly, but we have a large ghetto are with high crime. Cost of living is quite low here...if our house was nearby Southern CA, it would cost 500K. I am satisfied with living here.
      June 28, 2019 8:15 AM MDT

I live out in the country so I don't live in a hamlet, village, town or city.  The population of my township is about 300.  

Small town is relative.  Hemet is California's 96th largest city.  If that were in South Dakota it would be the state's second largest city.  South Dakota is pretty empty compared to the rest of the country.  In fact, there are 15 cities in the USA that have more people in them than the entire state of South Dakota!

Umm yeah, I like it bunches because I'm a country girl.  I like to visit cities but living in the country is just better for me.

June 27, 2019 11:05 PM MDT

That is quite small Liv. It sounds very cozy and comfy though. No traffic jams. No huge crowds milling about elbow-to-elbow at stores. Idyllic. Well we like Hemet. It's a nice little town with mostly retired folks. Where we live is central to whatever we need. I mean everything (except our doctors) is within a 3-miles radius. Even our dentist. But we lived in Riverside before moving here so we have to "drive in" to Moreno Valley about 27 miles away for our doctor. And sometimes we have to drive 38 miles to another Kaiser facility for other doctors or tests. Other than that our little town is pretty self-contained. What is your favorite thing about your town? If we were to visit what would you advise us not to miss? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      June 28, 2019 3:39 AM MDT

1. Sun City

Arizona
      Sun City is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Maricopa County, Arizona, United States, that is within the Phoenix metropolitan area. The population was 37,499 according to the 2010 census. Its adjoining sister city is Sun City West. Both cities are retirement communities popular with snowbirds.
      • Local time: 12:38 AM 6/28/2019
      • Weather: 83°F (28°C), Clear · See more
      • Population: 37,499 (2010)
      • Area: 14.59 sq miles
      • State: Arizona
      • ZIP codes: 85300-85399
      June 28, 2019 12:42 AM MDT

Thank you for your detailed reply Sharon. Not too hot for you?
      June 28, 2019 5:02 AM MDT