Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » Is it possible that even within fairytales there are Walmarts? Beauty and flights of fancy, alongside sales on clothing and household goods?

Is it possible that even within fairytales there are Walmarts? Beauty and flights of fancy, alongside sales on clothing and household goods?

Posted - June 29, 2019

Responses

When the HELL does it start?  Ain't nobody got time for this.     OH GODDDDD.  THIS MUSIC?   THIS IS THE REASON PEOPLE LOATHE GAYS.  THIS IS HORRID.  What is this, a throwback to the 70's?  This is a step-down for the Wal-Mart.  You know I LOVE GAY PEOPLE, but this?  KILL THEM ALL.

If you get rid of this DISCO muzak elevator music, maybe gays would have a chance.

UGH.  This makes me want to get a machine gun and take out all of Ft. Lauderdale.  Including the Wal-Mart.

June 29, 2019 11:15 AM MDT

• I know.  LOL!  It's so awful it's almost kitschy.  I dug it up online like so many other things that should probably be left deep-sixed in the virtual realm, and thought it to be perfect for this goofy post.  No need to thank me so profusely.
      June 29, 2019 2:26 PM MDT

I don't get it, Sharonna.
    Even if you don't like tinsel and fairy floss -
    surely daydreams, flights of fancy and moments in keeping with your own aesthetics 
    are necessary to help reduce the stresses of life.
    Aren't they?

I think Twinkles has hit on quite a good idea - writing a fairy tale that includes a unique new kind of Walmart. It doesn't just include DVD's of movies or CD's of music. It includes fairy wings for kid's birthday parties, angel wings for preachers on street corners, teddy-bear costumes for charity collectors, and Mad-Hatter's hats for a jaunty day out.
    And since it's a fairy tale world, each of these items has a magical power...
      June 29, 2019 2:33 PM MDT

:)
      June 29, 2019 6:44 PM MDT

I haven't yet come across a Walmart in a fairytale.
    And I've read fairytales pretty extensively - have collections of the classics from around the world.
    Some scenes do occur in market places -
    but fairytales have no equivalents of businesses run by multinational corporations selling mass-produced products.

An example would be one of the stories in The Thousand and One Nights of Scheherazade.
    Please forgive me for my clumsy paraphrasing from distant memory.
    Mustafa fills a goatskin with water, straps it over his belly, and dresses as a woman in a niqaab (full cover).
    He waddles into the market place, exclaims in falsetto at the beauty of the gemstones in a stall, picks some up, puts some back, pockets a few.
    The merchant sees it and shouts "thief!"
    The guard lashes out with his scimitar, aiming for the thief's left hand but stabs the vast belly.
    "Oh! Help! Help me!" Mustafa screams in soprano, "my waters have broken."
    A passing sheik (an accomplice) intervenes and calls for a doctor (the other loitering accomplice). They use their authority to whisk Mustafa away to safety, there to divide the spoils.
    But the jewels are magic and carry a curse,
    and we will not hear what happens till tomorrow night.

This post was edited by inky at July 1, 2019 1:05 PM MDT
      June 29, 2019 2:19 PM MDT

Maybe I bought this CD in a department store or record store when they had more of them. Maybe even WalMart? I'm unsure.

But "Fairytale" is definitely part of Enya's "The Celts."

A great little, unassuming piece.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 1, 2019 1:05 PM MDT
      June 29, 2019 6:48 PM MDT