Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What do some Republican members do or not do in order to be catagorized as a RINO*?

What do some Republican members do or not do in order to be catagorized as a RINO*?

*Republican In Name Only

Posted - June 29, 2019

Responses

Anyone elected as a Republican who turns out to be:
    anti-growth, anti-freedom or anti-free market policies,
    too moderate on such issues as taxes, gun rights, and abortion,
    or failing to agree with and support the far right's policies and stances.

Such actions would include voting with the Democrats against Republican legislation -
    siding with the Dems in voting for impeachment proceedings against Trump -
    standing back and not supporting Trump's assertions and Tweets -
    resigning from one of the Trump appointed advisory positions.

~

I find it interesting because the inventor of Liberalism, John Stuart Mills, was an ardent advocate of freedom.
    His policy was that everyone should be free to think, speak and act as he or she wished
    so long as it did not infringe the equal rights of others to the same,
    and so long as it caused no harm to others.
    It's a long complex story - how in the US, this idea came to be viewed as purely Republican - and how Repubs came to see Liberals as anti-free speech.

I believe that if people seriously studied the views of both sides - they'd realize both are strenuously for freedom.
    They just have different ideas of what freedom is, what rights and responsibilities are included,
    and what constitutes a limitation of freedom on one side, or causes harm on the other.

This post was edited by inky at June 30, 2019 11:51 AM MDT
      June 29, 2019 11:51 PM MDT

Very good. 
      June 30, 2019 12:08 AM MDT

Thanks for the pick, Kitty.
    I guess - with you being a Canadian, and me, Australian - we hear North American news bulletins and see the US with a different perspective.

I've always thought Canada and New Zealand had a saner approach to politics than Australia.
    Both have shown more compassion to asylum seekers.

Australia's record is shameful.
    Lots of activists are working to change the present government's policies, and we are slowly making inroads but its a painful process.

As to the left / right divide, Australia, while still 10-15% left of the States, has been drifting right for the last 30 years and that worries me.
    I watch US news every day to better understand how America influences what's happening here.

Are you living in Canada?

What's the range of Canadian views on Trump and the US's current direction?
      June 30, 2019 12:44 AM MDT

Yes i've lived all my life in Canada. I dunno if Trump is really doing much real good for USA as he would like people to think he is but he has proven himself a 'hard to like' person in Canada and abroad..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/world/2018/10/01/canadians-opinion-of-the-united-states-falls-to-another-record-low.html

This post was edited by Kittigate at June 30, 2019 11:52 AM MDT
      June 30, 2019 1:22 AM MDT

Also..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4510841/donald-trump-canada-survey-pew-research-center/amp/
      June 30, 2019 1:32 AM MDT

Some Americans say they don't give a dam what people abroad think of USA because their country  is so great and powerful anyway. USA, last time I checked ranked 15th best country to live in; Canada ranked 6th place. This post was edited by Kittigate at June 30, 2019 11:52 AM MDT
      June 30, 2019 1:42 AM MDT

Too many Americans put too much trust in their insulated view of the world. Being told (true or not) that The US is the greatest this or the biggest that, without any personal experiences in other parts of the world to compare, leaves them to only follow the hype. This gave impetus to the Trump sideshow barker cult. Impulsive, poorly informed and self-centered, minus basis in reality, honesty or coherent wisdom. 

Good news, significant trends or locally important events in other parts of the world are at best marginalized in the states, are misrepresented, or just lost beneath the swirling tides of moronic Trump preening and attention-whoring, and reaction to it. A provincial, dissonant, intellectual vacuum. 

We live in a global society now, humans as a species are all caught up in this together, what happens on one continent will inevitably impact another. Our reputed “leaders” here in the US do poor service to the people and the future by continued indifference to this condition.  
    The routinely divisive, ill-advised and (I say) shortsighted proponents of the Trump brand of combative populism are not fostering global community advantage, not advancing larger majority interests at home, instead preferring to vacillate unproductively on who is or is not “one of them”, whereby deflecting failure to achieve blatantly partisan objectives gets more air than actually achieving something —anything— worthwhile. (All while a changing roster of rats scurry on and off the ship)
    Literally, failure as politics. This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 30, 2019 11:52 AM MDT
      June 30, 2019 6:24 AM MDT

That's interesting reading 'thanks.
      June 30, 2019 7:54 AM MDT

• Because liberal has taken on a different definition in the US.  Liberalism is what the country was founded on so made that the conservative view here. So liberal became to mean anything left here. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 2, 2019 10:07 AM MDT
      June 30, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

Any who want to raise taxes, add regulations, not enforce all laws (border etc), a globalist, believes the Constitution needs to be updated or is a "living doctument", pro-choice, pro-amnesty without a secure border......would be a RINO. 

Some are RINO's on some issues. But are strong Rep on others. 
      July 2, 2019 10:12 AM MDT