Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » How did passion fruit get its name?

How did passion fruit get its name?

It sounds delicious.

Posted - July 2, 2019

Responses

• It is named after the Passion of Christ.  I forget exactly why.  Something  about the shape representing the wounds or the trinity.  Something like that.
      July 2, 2019 9:29 PM MDT

From the flower, which was traditionally thought to symbolise many aspects of the Passion of Christ's last days.

The tendrils represent the whips used in the flagellation of Christ..
    The ten petals and sepals are the ten faithful disciples (excluding Peter the denier who later founded the church of Rome, and Judas the betrayer).
    The flower's radial filaments are like the crown of thorns, even though not prickly.
    The chalice-shaped ovary looks like the Holy Grail..
    The 3 stigmas, the 3 nails; the 5 anthers, the 5 wounds, four by the nails and one by the lance.
    The blue and white colours of the flowers (in most varietals of the passionfruit species) symbolise heaven and purity. 
    The flower remains open for three days, symbolising the three years' ministry.

Ref: Brewer, E. C. 2001 The Wordsworth Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (2001 ed.). p. 826.

This post was edited by inky at July 3, 2019 6:55 PM MDT
      July 2, 2019 9:49 PM MDT

Because people eat it with a passion.... :) D
      July 3, 2019 1:00 AM MDT

At the moment I read your answer here, pictures of totally naked women popped up on my sidebar. 
      July 3, 2019 2:59 PM MDT

Can you send me the link...:) 
      July 3, 2019 3:25 PM MDT

If you rub it against your naughty parts you will achieve orgasm.  But what the namers of the fruit failed to realize, is that if you rub just about anything besides lit charcoal on your naughty bits, the same result occurs.
      July 3, 2019 1:10 AM MDT

We have rubbing alcohol in England for that ,but rubbing fruit would just make one hell of a mess I think....:)
      July 4, 2019 1:37 AM MDT