Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Would you rather be a hell-raiser or a fund-raiser? ~

Would you rather be a hell-raiser or a fund-raiser? ~

Posted - July 4, 2019

Responses

• *serves you a hot mayo milkshake*

What do you think?

July 4, 2019 11:06 PM MDT

The hostility is so thick it can be cut with a knife.

~

July 4, 2019 11:20 PM MDT

• And that's how you like it. Just admit it.
      July 4, 2019 11:31 PM MDT

Well . . . maybe a little. 

~

July 5, 2019 5:38 AM MDT

Neither.
    I've never been a hell-raiser - just not that hedonistic or rebellious.

Have been a fundraiser - was quite good at it for a while - but I came to dislike doing it. Saw things I didn't like.

I'm very cynical now about how much of each donation reaches its intended cause
    and how much gets swallowed up in unnecessary wages for administration.

There are too many so-called charities which are fronts for get-rich-quick schemes.

Here's one example.
    In 1916 in Australia, servicemen who had survived WWI founded the Returned Soldiers League (RSL). 
    The intention was to preserve the spirit of mateship formed in the blood of battle, to honour the fallen and to help each other whenever needed.

Practical help slowly grew into a vast organisation which for many generations had an excellent reputation.

Residential and community care for the wounded and aged is now one of the services - nothing free or subsidised. The RSL makes 6% profit pa.

The RSL runs large pubs in every town in Australia. Initially, they were places where mates could reminisce and share support -
    but they grew into mega-businesses making huge profits on alcohol and gambling machines in every town throughout Australia.

The RSL also runs lotteries in which the prizes are $1M+ apartments with spectacular views in major cities. 

In recent years the RSL formed a charity to collect funds for the aged care.
    It commissioned young backpacker tourists to accost people in shopping centres and push anyone who stopped to sign up to automatic monthly deductions from their account.

A judge recently ruled (after tip-off and prosecution) that all the donations and the profits from the pubs and gambling had gone into the pockets of the members of the board. They are now serving time in goal.

The scam is not unique.

This post was edited by inky at July 5, 2019 5:47 AM MDT
      July 5, 2019 12:46 AM MDT

I'm sticking with my tried and tested Fun Raising capabilities thank you very much....as nature aptly designed me for Im thinking.......:)D 

July 5, 2019 2:58 AM MDT