Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » I will never forget when i got catcalled when walking down the street and I felt uncomfortable.

I will never forget when i got catcalled when walking down the street and I felt uncomfortable.

I went back to my dorm and I told my roommate about it. She told me in a nonchalant manner "I know a lot of people who got raped". And I'm like wtf!!

Why the heck do you think she brought that up?

Posted - September 5, 2016

Responses

Who knows maybe it was her way of saying it could be worse - like getting cat called is mild to being rapped. Anyway cat calling isn't cool. Cheers!
      September 5, 2016 9:10 AM MDT

What in the world is wrong with you?  Cat calls are what guys do. You have said you are in your mid twenties.  You also said you like with your parents, so where does a roommate come in.?   Get a grip.  Same goes for your roommate.  Do some research and see how many rapes were preceded by cat calls.

September 5, 2016 12:11 PM MDT

• Thrifty what are you talking about. You sound crazy.
      September 5, 2016 2:17 PM MDT

• I guess so.
      September 5, 2016 2:18 PM MDT

A little too much common sense for you?  Me crazy?  You bet.........BEWARE!!!!!

September 6, 2016 12:42 PM MDT

• You don't have common sense. What you say doesn't make any sense. lmao

September 6, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

Is it what guys do? Or is it disrespectful behaviour that gradually became accepted as "normal"? If more and more women are coming out and saying they don't like it, and feel degraded, or objectified, or even threatened by it, should we just dismiss them because somebody else said it's "normal" for guys?

While I don't think it's right that people should wrap themselves up in some kind of personal space bubble, and vilify anyone that dares to intrude on it, I think there has to at least be some sort of middle ground where we can recognize that while men have some urges to holler or leer at women suggestively, a lot of women don't like it, so why not just treat people you meet in public with respect by default?

September 6, 2016 4:33 PM MDT

• What they're really saying:

September 8, 2016 6:27 AM MDT

I don't know what she meant. When you asked her about it, what did she say?

~
      September 8, 2016 6:34 AM MDT

• I said what? That's horrible!

September 8, 2016 6:48 AM MDT

Because there are much worse things than being catcalled.

September 8, 2016 6:56 AM MDT

maybe cause shes been raped , ive never gotten catcalled, guys just arent interested in me, not sure why

September 11, 2016 7:24 PM MDT

• I don't know why either, you're beautiful pearl

September 11, 2016 7:32 PM MDT