Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Do tall people find it uncomfortable to be around short people?

Do tall people find it uncomfortable to be around short people?

Just wondered cause someone pointed that out to me today and I've wondered about how others feel about it. I'm 4ft5 and I find I never have anyone to hang out with and do stuff with. I'm 55 but I look a lot younger cause of being short. Do people feel like theyre hanging out with some teenager and is that why they never want to do stuff with me? Not even neighbors, I always see them knocking on each others door but never mine and theyre around the same age I am, maybe a little older. If I go to church people wont even sit with me or even ask me to go out with them after for lunch or whatever but they sit with each other and i know they go to lunch with each other cause I've heard them talk about it. And dont say go to another church, been there and done that and i get the same story.

Just wondered if it makes people uncomfortable to be around short people, like do i look too young for them to hang out with them? or what? Not sure how I can change it, I cant make myself grow, any suggestions? tired of being the lone ranger just cause of my size

Posted - September 6, 2016

Responses

If 6'2" counts as tall, I am height-blind. I spent the latter part of my growing-up a head shorter than my classmates and did not "shoot up" until very late. Sometimes I still feel short at heart. Short ones, tall ones, in between ones, it does not matter.

September 6, 2016 2:56 PM MDT

On the contrary, I like short people because they make me feel taller. Mind you, I'm only medium height 5'8" or 5'9", so I can't speak for the taller folks. But you know, it could be that you're self conscious about being short, which makes you uneasy, which makes you shy, which makes people reluctant to approach you. One way to solve this is to develop a little self confidence. Just remember that you're a worthwhile person no matter what your size. Even though it's hard, try to start a conversation first, and see what happens.
      September 6, 2016 3:32 PM MDT

I start to wonder WTF when somebody watches my belly button as if it is moving.

September 6, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

It sounds to me that you're being short is not the main issue. It is more of a self -confidence issue. Mayhap we should discuss this further.

September 6, 2016 5:28 PM MDT

true

September 6, 2016 5:33 PM MDT

I'm short for a male. About 5'5"/ 5'6" ish. I used to get down about it quite a lot, and I contributed almost everything that was negative in my life to my physical stature. But, eventually, I came to realize that it's the personality and mood that is more apparent to the people around you, and the vibes you give off. I have a lot more luck socially now than before and my mother is 4'9" and she's always had a ton of friends. Height doesn't matter. It may play a part of the role for some people who are looking for a lover, but not friendship. 

September 6, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

Only when they get stuck in their teeth. :-)

(FWIW, I positively love 'short' women--especially if they're athletic.)

September 6, 2016 5:47 PM MDT

I don't think most tall people care. I am 5'2" and my husband is 6'2".
      September 6, 2016 5:50 PM MDT