Active Now

Randy D
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Music » The oldest song in my music list is "Deep Purple" from 1939. I had no idea so many people covered this song. What's your oldest fave?

The oldest song in my music list is "Deep Purple" from 1939. I had no idea so many people covered this song. What's your oldest fave?

Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin

Ella Fitzgerald
Nino Tempo & April Stevens
Donny & Marie Osmond
Helen Forrest
Peggy Lee
Pat Boone
The Beach Boys
Sarah Vaughn
and the list goes on...
but Bea Wain's is my favorite.
Vintage.  Romantic.  Full of soft Purple Passion. 
Nice to slow dance to...

Posted - August 2, 2019

Responses

• I'm getting more and more tired of what's supposed to be "new" , and more into every retro classic I can find. Jazz, blues, rock & soul, folk - But it's vast & deep and I have so much my ears need to learn.

I found this and keep coming back to it :

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 12, 2019 3:01 PM MDT
      August 2, 2019 8:51 PM MDT

Not many people know that Jackie Gleason had a fantastic orchestra.  He recorded an album titled "For Lovers Only."  One of my favorite songs is My Funny Valentine.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to upload it.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-symantec-ext_onb&hsimp=yhs-ext_onb&hspart=symantec&p=my+funny+valentine+jackie+gleason#id=2&vid=ebd75553a5a7b305e8102a129e9a5731&action=click

August 2, 2019 10:27 PM MDT

Pachelbel. Late 17th century. His "Canon in D Major", written around 1680 for 3 violins, single manual organ, cello and theorbo (bass lute), is hauntingly beautiful. Turn up your sound ...

August 2, 2019 11:16 PM MDT

Beethoven's piano concertos, especially the 5th.
    Rachmaninov's piano concertos And others.
      August 3, 2019 8:55 AM MDT

You have a SONG LIST?  WTF?
      August 3, 2019 8:56 AM MDT

One that "popped" into my head - - my brother and sister and I would love listening to this song that our dad had liked

Cute, and still-very-funny-to-me song

"The Popcorn Song"  Cliffie Stone and his orchestra

EDIT: I just listened again - - I forgot how SOLID the song is musically, too! Great stuff to me! :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 12, 2019 4:39 PM MDT
      August 12, 2019 2:57 PM MDT