Discussion » Questions » Communication » In your view, what is the best way to express your opinion honestly without offending others?

In your view, what is the best way to express your opinion honestly without offending others?

Posted - August 6, 2019

Responses

• The best way is to not worry if your expression is going offend others.  Two reasons,  1 if my opinion is based on sound information it shouldn't offend anyone,  2 its their problem if they choose to be offended by my opinion.
    I never bother worrying about whether or not I am offending someone by my word choices.  It's not my problem.
      August 6, 2019 3:28 AM MDT

Agreed. :)
      August 7, 2019 2:21 AM MDT

By taking in mind the fact that others have the same right to their opinions just as I do, and most importantly, the fact that not everyone has to think the same way that I do. Secondly, by acknowledging that a person’s intelligence is not merely based on whether or not he or she agrees with me. Thirdly, by carefully choosing my words, respecting how they can be perceived. 

~
      August 6, 2019 7:10 AM MDT

Love it! :)
      August 7, 2019 2:20 AM MDT

Than cue!
    ~
      August 7, 2019 5:51 AM MDT

I try to be respectful of those who have differing opinions.  I can handle any discussion with an adversary so long as personal insults don't enter the picture.  Once those fly - I'm done.  If you have to call me names to get your point across, you've lost the argument.
      August 6, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

August 6, 2019 7:32 AM MDT

mmm.
    We're similar in that respect.
    The difference with me is I leave the room if insults start.
    Yep, I reckon they've lost it if they get to that stage - no point sticking around.
      August 7, 2019 2:19 AM MDT

In all honesty, the only times I've been in a discussion when the personal insults flew was on the Internet.  I've not experienced that in person.  Being able to anonymously go after someone is one of the negative sides of the internet.  People will write things they wouldn't have the nerve to say directly to your face.  It's made us a much less civil society.
      August 7, 2019 12:49 PM MDT

If you have an opinion and you express it, you will almost certainly find someone who has been offended. The best you can do is be polite, respectful and tolerant.
      August 6, 2019 1:40 PM MDT

Mmm, yes. I've found that here.
    I agree on polite, respectful and tolerant: it goes a lo----ng way. :)
      August 7, 2019 2:17 AM MDT

No. 1:  Don't do this:

Image result for you're stupid gif
    Then just give them the absolute, irrefutable facts.  The two of you may, together, come to a more complete understanding of the situation.  Okay, I know you're talking about me now, let me have it.  What's on your mind?
      August 6, 2019 2:14 PM MDT

So far, I haven't noticed you saying anything controversial.
    Nothing you've said has triggered me.

I agree - name-calling is a no-no when it comes to skills in relationships.
    Pacino's body language - the same no-no.

August 6, 2019 3:31 PM MDT

Word choice. Tone. Humor. 

That said, if the subject matter was so important as to evoke my unfiltered honesty, I’d expect some latitude from those listening. 
      August 6, 2019 3:21 PM MDT

I'll keep watch to see if I can catch it in action. ;)
      August 7, 2019 2:16 AM MDT

Being offended is a CHOICE. So speak your mind  and if any snowflakes take offence, lend them a handkerchief to cry into.
      August 7, 2019 6:38 AM MDT