Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Do you know enough about boats and ships to explain the advantages or disadvantages of flat-bottom versus other types of hulls? ~

Do you know enough about boats and ships to explain the advantages or disadvantages of flat-bottom versus other types of hulls? ~

Posted - August 26, 2019

Responses

I know flat bottoms are good for small creeks and streams and can float in shallower waters. 

V bottoms are better for waters with more turbulent waves to navigate. Of course the v bottom cannot float in as shallow water as a flat bottom. 
      August 26, 2019 7:05 AM MDT

Flat bottomed boats are like fat bottomed girls - unstable and likely to tip when things get rough.
      August 26, 2019 7:33 AM MDT

I'll have you know, I've never tipped over!
      August 26, 2019 7:35 AM MDT

Tipped over?  OMG, I'm so glad you never "tipped over." 
      August 26, 2019 8:53 AM MDT

August 26, 2019 7:39 AM MDT

• That is not accurate.
      August 26, 2019 8:09 AM MDT

• I absolutely do.

Flat bottoms tend to be faster and more stable while stationary.  V bottoms on the other hand are slower but plane over faster and more stable in waves while under power.  Flat bottoms hit the waves harder and will bounce on them while a v bottom is able to break and cut the wave hel0ung to soften the blow.   V bottoms are also able to take sharper and more responsive turns. While flatbottoms are faster than traditional  v bottoms, padded v bottoms outperform both in terms of top speed, but at the cost of stability.  While planed over the only part of the hull in contact is the rear pad.  Often about the size of a paper bag,  they are very fast but aren't able to take much wake and are prone to a side to side rocking motion known as chine walking.
    I'm going to pass on other hull bottom.designs such as cathedral(Trihull), tub, and round bottoms as you didn't mention them and for the sake of brevity.   In short a round bottom has some of the characteristics of both.  They act not or less like a flatbotttom but have a rolling capability in turns that helps them take sharper and more precise turns and while stationary or moving slow are able to roll with the waves better .
    Flat bottoms and round bottoms also draft less than v bottoms.

Generally speaking for pleasure craft v bottoms are what the average weekend warrior is looking for. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 26, 2019 2:30 PM MDT
      August 26, 2019 8:05 AM MDT

Yes.  I do. Because I just read Gris-Gris.
      August 26, 2019 8:08 AM MDT

That doesn’t count and you know it doesn’t count. 

Fifteen demerits AND reported. So there!
    (J/k.)
    ~
      August 26, 2019 2:13 PM MDT

Flat bottoms are best suited to shallow waters - the riverways through swamps and deltas, and across lakes thick with water plants.

The deeper the keel of a sailboat, the better it can hold itself in deep waters against the pressure of the wind on its sails. Otherwise, it would tip over and be swamped.
    The vee also reduces friction and resistance in forward motion and prevents hull damage when cutting through waves.

My Dad used to sail every weekend when I was a kid. I often went out with him. He had a teak Crown called Nimitabel, 32' x 8' at the waterline, four berths. Its keel was deep enough to require mooring. We used a little flat bottomed dingy to row to and fro the inlet beaches of Pittwater and the Hawkesbury River.
    He sometimes left on long solo sailing trips to Lord Howe Island or around Australia.
    Back in the late 1920s to early '30s, he was the captain of a pearling lugger around Broom.

This post was edited by inky at August 26, 2019 8:50 PM MDT
      August 26, 2019 12:50 PM MDT

(It's Its keel)

Thank you. When referring to the way a deep keel relates to the sail, is the same concept also true for vessels powered by an engine and lacking sails?
    ~
      August 26, 2019 2:09 PM MDT

That misplaced apostrophe is a common error of mine. I know the difference - yet some glitch in my mind often misses. I annoy myself with it.

The larger the volume of the boat above the waterline, the more winds and air pressure will affect its speed, direction, and ability to turn.
    So larger vessels need deeper hulls and keels. They also need ballast or weight in the hulls to counteract the pressure of water and its currents.
    So yes, engine-driven boats still need to conform to similar principles of marine engineering.

CallmeIshmael and Element 99 could give you better answers than mine. Both have extensive experience on oceans, the former as a marine biologist, the latter as a naval man.

This post was edited by inky at August 26, 2019 8:51 PM MDT
      August 26, 2019 3:23 PM MDT

Flat bottom powerboats plane quicker and higher in the water, consequently have more power from "dead in the water" and higher top speed.  On the other hand, they do not absorb wave shock as well and have been known to  catch enough wind while going over a wave to flip end over end.  A deep keel plows through the water instead of riding over it but is less manoverable(?) and a bit slower.   Thanks for asking.
      August 26, 2019 8:57 PM MDT