Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Betting odds are that Trump will be impeached but not removed from office. How does that work?

Betting odds are that Trump will be impeached but not removed from office. How does that work?

He can be impeached but remain in office? 

Posted - September 30, 2019

Responses

Impeach, as I understand it, means to be charged with crimes.  And, it does not have to rise to a criminal action, but, rather, has to do with public opinion regarding  the Officer's derelcetion of duty.  It can be a Judge as well as a President and various other high offices.  

In order for him to be removed, it must then be removed to the Courts.  Then, and only then can he be removed.   It has to be a two/thirds majority in both House and Senate.  So?  We all doubt he will be removed, unless he does something even worse.  He will continue to get in his own way.  OF COURSE. 

Clinton was impeached, but he was not convicted.  I think. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 30, 2019 1:03 PM MDT
      September 30, 2019 1:15 AM MDT

Not quite accurate.  The House brings the "indictment" (Articles of Impeachment) and the Senate (not the courts) tries the case with the Chief Justice (in this case, John Roberts) presiding.  A simple majority as to any Article of Impeachment is all that is required in the House.  A 2/3 majority in the Senate is required to convict on any article.  I'm not sure what happens if only some of the Articles get a 2/3 vote, but not others.
      September 30, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

Same way Andrew Jackson and Bill Clinton were impeached but remained in office. Impeachment is the first step, by à simple majority in the House. Removal from office requires a 2/3rds majority in the Senate to convict. It's unlikely, the Senate is full of MAGA-hat-wearing rednecks.
      September 30, 2019 1:16 AM MDT

So he could be impeached and still win re-election?  How sad!
      September 30, 2019 1:27 AM MDT

The good news with this guy is that he has done so many bad acts, that we are now allowed to address and investigate them all.  And Ukraine?  There may be MORE calls and we all KNOW there are.  We need to FIND them.  

Finally, he has so many crimes, I don't think he has a prayer of being re-elected.  SAVE a MIRACLE.  OR RUSSIAN INTERVENTION.  And if the economy tanks? He is dead in the water.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 30, 2019 1:39 AM MDT
      September 30, 2019 1:34 AM MDT

The economy has already hit the wall, due to his pointless d**k-measuring contest with Chairman Li.
      September 30, 2019 1:45 AM MDT